Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doxiedr

'New' Zone Maps

mbuckmaster
16 years ago

I write "new" in quotes because these are from 2006...but I notice many of us in NC are still claiming a Zone 7 or 6 status, and those in SC are Z7/8. According to the Arbor Day Foundation, SC is almost entirely Zone 8, and NC is 7/8, with some 6 in the mountains only. How accurate are these "new" zone maps? Do they really reflect the warming climate, or are they a bit of overkill on the part of the AD Foundation?

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone Changes

Comments (8)

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:569559}}

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

Amazing how much most of the country has trended up a zone. Not sure what could be the cause and I don't want to start a political debate on here.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

I believe i read when the refigured them, they were using the last 20 years' worth of data to come up with the numbers. I certainly have noticed that in the 16 or so that we've been here it was more of z 8 lows as opposed to z 7, so i can't say i was surprised when it changed officially. Whether it's normal cyclical fluctuations or greater overall change i won't touch, but there's no denying it's been warmer for 20 years, whatever the reason.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    16 years ago

I think if you factor in all the trees taken down and all the roofs erected as well as new roads,acres of concrete driveways and paved parking lots that's a ton of new heatsinks.

• jody
    16 years ago

I grow some zone 8 plants and they do well, but I site them carefully. A cooler season could be their undoing. While I claim 7b I am all too aware that it would take only a degree or two to make a big difference in what I can grow -- either warmer and cooler.

Some NASA data is trending to cooler, enough to undo the warming we've experienced. For instance, the oceans are not actually warming up - which runs counter to what they've been expecting. When I was in junior high the scientific community was forcasting a new ice age - scared me big time as I hate cold. I still have Time and Newsweek magazines with extensive articles on the subject.

The weather systems on this planet are incredibly complex and are timed in decades, each piece playing out year over year in a slow unfolding, the influencing factors in the billions.

• nannerbelle
    16 years ago

Very true Jody, it's a very very complex planet and the cycles and weather systems are very good examples of exactly what a complex machine Earth is. The science of weather, climate and the environment is very facinating. I love watching some of the science channel shows/specials on it. No political debate to start here either, I just wish science would report science, and let all the politicos go fight it on some other front! Mother nature is a beautiful and complex lady.

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One thing that makes me skeptical of these new maps is that last frost for Zone 7 is generally April 15th, right?...well, we had that last night here in the "new" Zone 8. I think you guys are right--Mother Nature is too complex to try to really predict. I've read about how people have had success with Zone 9 or 5 plants here as well.

I guess the "zones" are really "best educated guesses"?... =)

• dawgie
    16 years ago

I would have to agree that the new zone maps are more accurate, at least considering the past 20 years or so. The problem is that all it takes is one cold snap to cause a lot of problems -- as a lot of gardeners found out with the hard freeze of April 2007. However, it has been a very long time since the coldest winter temperatures dropped down to 0 F in the Triangle area.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio