Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snake in lawn mower

Posted by duscarter SC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 20:05

I have a thread going in the lawn mower forum that I hope someone in the area can shed light on. After mowing the grass today, I found a snake on top of the deck, wrapped up in the belt system. There are pics in the other thread.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg0419314231694.html?1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snake in lawn mower

Unfortunately you have to cut the snake free. It's a gross and ugly job. Alternatives are to park the mower on top of an ant hill (the large red harvester ants will work, or fire ants). It will take them most of week to clean it up. Or just park it in the woods somewhere where wild animals can nibble away at the carcass and solve your problem. Letting it rot away under water will work quicker but will ruin the mower. Leaving it alone, untouched just gives you a mummified snake which can be even harder to dig out of the belts.

o

LOL. I put on some gloves and pulled it out (in several pieces). There wasn't that much blood.

He must have dripped dry while I was mowing :)

o

I think I'll be checking my mower every time I use it carefully from now on!! That gives me the creeps!!

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 6:48

Yeah, no kidding. I just mowed yesterday, but didn't check the rider, and I get snakes from hell around here. Gotta look where you walk every step. Drives me nuts!! I'm putting out covered sulphur trays to discourge them this year.

o

One day (maybe last year) our water feature/waterfall pump stopped working. I happened to have my landscaper on the phone to "walk us through" checking out the pump. When I saw the black snake hanging out, I told him "we don't need a landscaper, we need a veterinarian." Alas, it was too late for the poor snake. The landscaper has had a lot of fun telling that story to everyone who gets a water feature! :-) The pump worked just fine after my husband removed the dead snake.

Cameron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here