Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What bulbs will return in zone 7b?

Posted by LMA84 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:24

Hello Carolinians!

I am working on my first garden this year and was wondering if I could get some advice about my zone (7B). I want to try layering bulbs this fall and have heard that tulips will not rebloom here. Does anyone have some recommendations of reblooming bulbs? Since I am layering, I really don't want to have to dig up my bulbs at the end of each summer.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What bulbs will return in zone 7b?

Daffodils do fine.

o

gladiola do well also. elephant ear, hyacinth, crocus, grape hyacinth.

o

The tulips that Mom planted 30+ years ago still come up and bloom every year.

Her "Flags" as she called them, I think its actually Iris, have multiplied and reproduced every year too. I thinned them a few weeks ago and gave away about 150 of them.

She also planted some multiplying bulbs that keep coming back. I think they are paper whites, I'm not sure but they look like the same.

o

Take a look at some of the species tulips. They TEND to be longer lived than the general hybrid. There are exceptions to every rule, but our climate tends to favor other genuses than Tulipa. Most displays here in the southeast treat them as annuals then toss them in the compost. And even if they do perennialize, voles love them in my garden.

However, I have had good luck with all the bulbs listed before my post, as well as crocosmia/montbrettias, dahlias, amarcrinum, alliums and too many others to mention. Lots of possible combinations there!

This post was edited by kitfoxdrvr on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 16:55

o

I have tulips, daffodils, irises, gladiolas, Japanese and Siberian irises, hyacinths, grape hyacynths, Oriental and Asiatic lilies, dahlias, and don't know what else. I like to have something blooming all the time. But in my micro-environment, most elephant ears don't over-winter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here