Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Question on moving plants

nannerbelle
10 years ago

Hi all, I'm going to be moving this summer and taking all of my landscaping with me. I know I've tried to prep this stuff pretty well and honestly my schedule for the move isn't what I would prefer but it's what I'm dealt. My question is this. I've got quite a few fairly new additions to my garden that hasn't been in the ground but about a year. They are small enough I could easily container them in a large container and baby them over the summer. Would I be better off to container them now, give them lots of TLC and water over the summer and put them in late summer after the move? Or perhaps hold them till a fall planting? I also could overwinter in my Greenhouse as it will be moved and immediately reconstructed at the new house. Or just dig in June or July and replant as when I move? I'm asking this about some small Bananas I just planted last year, Tropicana, and small variety EE's. I also have one small Azalea, and hopefully my hosta will be back this summer. I do have some other large plants, shrubs that are too large to container for an extended length of time. So I will move those when I have access to water at the new place and can get those soakers running. Thoughts?

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

Nanner,
    I would wait til you get the water at the new place and then start moving everything.
    I have found, if you transplant right into the ground anything that would be growing in the summer, like the banana, and water and mulch it real good, you should be fine.
    Anything that is evergreen, I would pot up and plant in the fall, end of October.
    I planted my baby banana last August in the ground, and it did just fine, over the winter too.
    You must be excited moving, and I have to hand it to you, taking all your landscaping, I get tired just thinking about it.
    LOL!
    Good Luck to you.

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Butterfly! Yea, I'm not looking forward to moving all these plants I've put in for the last 6 years, but it's a commercial entity who bought the house and the house will be moved off and the land bulldozed. So if I don't take them with me, they won't be here for anyone to enjoy. I am excited about the new place, I've got a LOT more land than I do here and the house is a custom farmhouse. I've got lots of plans and fun in the works and in the future for it. One question, I've got two magnolias I put in about 2 years ago. One is now over 7 ft, and the other is still shrub size. Should I pot those until fall? Or would they be safe to just put in and water the heck out of now? Don't know if I have a big enough pot for the big one LOL

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

nannerbelle , you might want to check into the tree forum and get their advice on that bigger magnolia. Might be as simple as taking a bigger root ball into burlap and wiring it up for the move into a temporary hole with some mulch and support ropes to keep it vertical until you can get it where you want it.

• User
    10 years ago

Nanner,
    Magnolias are hard to transplant anyway,
    I would put them in the ground, even tho they are evergreen, They would have a better chance just planting them, mulching and putting the hose around them and soaking them good a couple times a week .
    I would transplant them, mulch, and water real good Every day for a week, then probably go to twice a week, and mulch real good.
    Especially the big one, and tell yourself if it doesn't live, you tried the best that you could.
    We might have a nice wet summer this year (crossing fingers), so you might luck out as far as water.
    Your new place sounds wonderful, I am happy for you.
    Hope everything goes smoothly.

• trianglejohn
    10 years ago

When I moved (2010) I dug up everything precious to me and kept most of them in pots for a year or so until I had a better idea of where I wanted them. It is surprising what survived - just about everything, including an 8 foot tall redbud! They are known for hating being dug up.

I would think the tropical things like Bananas and Elephant Ears will be actively growing all summer - you'll have to water them in pots but they will survive, they just may not grow a lot after the move until next spring.

Most of the big botanic gardens wait until the high heat of summer to move stuff if they can't move it in the winter. Most bushes and trees are kinda dormant when it gets really hot.

Digging and moving 30-40 bushes and trees took three people 8 days of hard work to do (three expert gardeners, working alone and in teams, four weekends).

Many people told me not to bother, just buy new plants but I think I only lost like two things after all was said and done so to me it was well worth it.

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks folks, I know this is a huge job but I can use the plants at the new place. Not to mention, I can't stand the thoughts of plants I've hand selected to be left to the bulldozer. Sounds like just waiting to dig till the well is in and even perhaps during the June to July time frame may be my best bet. I do have a guy who has worked for me over the last few years helping with tilling, prep and the heavy lifting of creating your own landscaping and gardens. I'm going to be hiring him on to help with this move as well. The other thing is the admin at my builders told me today we may be into August before the house is ready, the rain which is being so kind to my plants has held up some aspects of the house. Getting the foundation in was a real chore! With this advice and not having a severe time constraint on this end, that may be best if we are delayed till then. i may go ahead and dig some of the smaller plants that are easy to container to try to get a little jump on it.

• trianglejohn
    10 years ago

You could do some root pruning now also. Just chop down within the root zone once or twice around each bush or tree. Later in the summer do it again in a different spot. When the time comes to dig up the plant you will only be chopping through half the roots.