Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience growing Artichoke in zone 7?

Posted by tripsleb 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 21:51

Anyone have experience growing Artichoke in zone 7? I am in Rowan County (Salisbury area). Clay soil, but I have lasagna beds, compost bins, and rainbarrels...
I have seeded indoors and it's the Emerald variety - I noticed it states 180-360 days to harvest on the packet. Please let me know any tips, etc! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience growing Artichoke in zone 7?

I've grown 'Green Globe' and 'Imperial Star' varieties I believe. I don't have any this year, last summer's heat did in the last of my plants.

I have never been able to get it to flower the first year like the packets and magazine articles claim it will. I've done every trick in the book and still I had to wait for the second or third spring to get buds.

I also have never gotten large grocery-store sized 'chokes, they were only about the size of a lemon. I believe they taste the same but are more tender when you pick them and cook them right away, they seem to have less fiber to them and more of them is eatable.

o

and they are huge, gorgeous plants!

o

Thanks trianglejohn and tamelask! I have done some companion planting research and am thinking of planting them in front of my mammoth sunflowers. Will post pics later this summer (if they can take the heat!)

o

They'll look their best in May/June and go downhill from there in my experience. They don't like the heat. That would be a stunning combo if you can keep the artichokes going long enough.

o

Can you post about your sunflower artichoke experience?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here