Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itzybitzy_gw

Watermelons,cukes,honeydew

itzybitzy_gw
13 years ago

wondering when to put my seedling outside(first time growing them from seed)they don't have true leaves yet I plant them in 4" peat pots and I can see the root from the bottom hole I live in Greensboro,also if anybody has tricks or tips all welcome last year did not have much"luck" I thinks is because I picked the biggest plants I could find at the farmers market they were in plastic flats I also divide them why waste a perfectly good plant.lol.

Comments (7)

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

Those are the group of plants that handle transplanting the worst, so it is better to plant them while they are very young. I think it is because they send out those super fine roots that are just too easy to damage.

Personally I think we are done with cold weather but melons like warm soil so if you can find out what the soil temp is in your area you should be able to determine if they will just sit there and barely grow, or take off like a rocket.

In my entire long life of gardening I have NEVER gotten a watermelon or honeydew to taste like they do in the grocery store. They look the same but barely have any flavor. My father's garden had the same track record and he lived in an area famous for its watermelons. I read somewhere about very specific pH and mineral requirements in order to get peak flavor... I don't remember what those were but I plan on googling it again and taking action this year.

• jilliebean9700
    13 years ago

i grew mine froom seed last yr & used peet pots,then just planted the whole thing-w/ exception to the cukes. those i sowed about this time of year directly in ground. they all grew great here in mooresville but i agree w/ triagnle john the taste in the melons werent the same. trying again this year w/ different varieties so i guess we'll see.

• chas045
    13 years ago

I have been following the recommendations from Quarels sp? seeds, a listing that I get from the Farmers Alliance old time store in siler City. It says the mellons and cucs should be seeded from April 20 thru May. I have not had great success with mellons. They have been small and sometimes tastless but sometimes they have had good flavor.

• ncdirtdigger
    13 years ago

I have had great success with both Sierra Gold and Ambrosia cantelopes. The key is to cut back on water when they get close to ripe. Excess water will dilute the flavor of the melons. This is true of watermelons as well.They also taste better if they ripen in cooler night temps, not much we can do about that around here except to plant a second crop timed to mature in late Sept. I think you are best off planting melons from seed as they don't transplant well and by the time they start growing after transplant the ones grown from seed will typically have passed them by.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

digger is so right. One rain can mean the difference between sweet,fragrant melons and strawberries and tasteless but beautiful fruit. Waiting til the soil dries and the plant builds up sugars again could mean they quickly rot if they were full ripe before they got rained on.
    Something different every year, isn't it.
    The key to controlling the water is to plant the fruit/veg in a hill for perfect drainage.

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

now I feel better about my last year failed is not easy to grow my fave summer fruit watermelon.Thank you guys.

• jilliebean9700
    13 years ago

mmmm-that is intersting about the water thing. i didnt know that. thanks for the info