Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magickmare

Anyone growing Wolfberry?

MagickMare
16 years ago

Is anyone growing Wolfberry? I'm interested in any experiences... I figure if it grows here, Tammy or someone else is growing it! I've heard that the flowers are purple & white and the fruit is very good for you.

Comments (8)

• tamelask
    16 years ago

Funny you mention me. I don't have it yet, but it's one of those things i've been wanting to get for a while. I just found out recently that le Jardin gourmet has seeds, so next time i'm ready to get seeds, i'll get some from them. :) Lots cheaper than plants. It's in the solanum clan, so it should be reasonably easy from seed.

I do have schizandra, which is also known as chinese magnolia vine. It has very nutritious fruits as well. I may get some this year- last year they were frozen out, and the year before i only had a couple of blooms. Letcha know what it tastes like. I can prolly dig you a piece if you're interested. It fruits in the shade, and suckers around, so be careful where you put it. The flowers are insignificant.

• MagickMare
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to invest in a Wolfberry plant. Hard to beat the name, the flowers look great, and healthy edible snacks too! My WS endeavors were not very successful. I did manage to get 3 nice looking Artichoke seedlings, and 2 Sweet Shrub seeds are sprouting, but that's it. So I'll stick to plants for now, at least until next winter.

Shade fruit? Count me in!

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

Don't give up on the WS stuff, some of it takes a few more weeks to pop up.

I'm way into Solanum family edibles, always interested in the new and obscure edibles especially things that fruit well in the shade (I'm deep in the woods with limited sunshine). I grew some Pepino Melons (Solanum muricatum sp?) from seed and they are finally producing fruit. Hopefully they'll taste better than storebought.

I don't have Wolfberry. I do have Pawpaw (one bloomed this year!!); Wineberry (from Tammy); Figs; Blackberry; Raspberries (probably Heritage); Blueberries (many types); Strawberries (all kinds); Kiwi (Issai I belive); Loquat; Artichokes (Green Globe and Imperial Star); Rhubarb (second year!!!); Aparagus; Bitter Melon (reseeding annual); all the standard garden Solanums (Tomato, Eggplant, Peppers, Tomatillo). In pots I also have Lime, Lemon, various baby citrus trees, Tamarillo or Tree Tomato (second year plants), and last but not least - one tiny baby olive tree (Albequena sp? its just a tiny stick but its blooming heavily).

• MagickMare
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't "given up", I still check them, but not holding out much hope. I will be trying again next winter! I'm thrilled that at least the artichokes came up. With any luck, I'll be able to eat one or two that I actually grew from seed!

My in-laws have mature Paw Paw trees on their farm - How can you tell the fruit is ready to eat? I'd like to try them before I decide to grow one.

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

When they get to the size of a large egg you need to wrap them in something protective. Squirrels and Raccoons will eat them even while unripe. All that I have picked and eaten before were just turning yellow, had a soft texture, but tasted like a bar of soap. They don't all taste good. If you're squeemish about eating after a squirrel has nibbled them you probably won't get many to eat - they seem to take a bite out of each one on the tree.

• jimpivonka
    13 years ago

I want to grow wolfberry, but am having difficulty finding seeds which will germinate or plants to establish. I have gathered some information about it.

Botanically, it is knownin both Lycium barbarum and L. chinense. It's likely that chinense is a variety, not a separate species. It's a popular food plant in China, with redipes using the leaves, shoots, and berries for soups, etc.

It is reported to grow wild here in Rush County, in West Central Kansas, and throughout much of Kansas. These plants may be escaped domestic cultivars, since the synonymous "matriminy vine" or "Duke of Argyll Tea" plants were a popular decorative throughout the US and England.

I have seen, on a Russian wildlife site, photos and video of wolves eating wolfberries off of the wild vine in the Siberian forest. It's clear where the name wolfberry comes from, and that the hardiness of the vine lets its natural range extend into the Siberian climate.

I have also seen the wolfberry plant growing, unnoticed and more or less untended by the management, in the plantings, along with multiflora rose, in the courtyard of a motel in Medford, Oregon. I wish I had taken cuttings from those plants.

If anyone can tell me how to get sproutable seed, or plantable plants for L. barbarum or chinense, aka Wolfberry, Duke of Argyll Tea, Matrimony Vine, etc. I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

• bartj13
    13 years ago

I have two plants, I may have bought them at the Western NC Herb Fest in Asheville a couple of years ago. They have not flowered or fruited yet, they are about 2 ft tall and a little spindly but alive. I have them planted in the border and supported with a wire screen.

• ellenlea_sonic_net
    12 years ago

One Green World in Oregon has Wofberries/Goji on their website. I have not grown them but am interested.