Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannerbelle

Interesting story today in Charlotte Observer

nannerbelle
16 years ago

For you folks in the Raleigh area. Hopefully some relief for you soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlotte Observer Article

Comments (5)

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

Thanks for that update. Be interesting to see what kind of excuse the all-knowing leaders of Raleigh will come up with now. First it was easing of restrictions at 90% full pool. Well, that didn't happen at 249.7' last week (which is more than 90% by my calculations) and they came up with some other excuse why the last 2 feet is harder to fill than the rest of the pool. Now there's a full pool, but they'll probably say according to another source it's not quite there yet.

The problem with the whole political climate with Raleigh Council is most of what they do and mandate affects quite a few people (especially those on water) in Wake county...but we can't vote for them or against them. What's wrong with this picture. This water thing has had me boiling for the last 2 years when I thought there should be restrictions and they did nothing...now they wanna play hardball. Geeessshhhh!!!

• caroleintegacay
    16 years ago

Speaking of Charlotte....and water, this is classic. The Charlotte City Council is getting ready to vote on whether or not they are going to raise water rates. It seems that with all the conservation (which they asked for) the utility people are facing a financial shortfall and want a rate increase. If I lived in Charlotte I'd be having a litter of kittens right about now!

Carole

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlotte Observer

• nannerbelle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Carole, that is one of the reasons I no longer live there. I got the heck out of there when it became very apparent that the city and county government was more dysfunctional than a bad reality show. Those guys are insane in Charlotte. Same thing there as Wake, City of Charlotte controls 90% of what Mecklenburg county does. Mecklenburg county is bad enough on it's own but the city compounds it. And speaking of Charlotte, they would love nothing better than to control all the other counties surrounding Mecklenburg. That is very evident with all the regulatory organizations they create trying to control things outside of the count. Shoot they have even tried to annex outside of the county boundries for big moneymakers to get those tax dollars. But Sorry I got on a rant, I lived in that mess for close to 20 years, and I'm so glad to be out of the crap and crime Charlotte has to offer. I'll hush now and go back to much more plesant things like gardening! :-)

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

I don't see the problem in just having mandatory odd/even water restrictions in the summer every year. There is not need to water the garden/lawn, power wash the sidewalk, wash the car every single day of the week.

• jimtnc
    16 years ago

jqpublic - I agree. I'm perfectly happy with alternate day watering, but trust me, Raleigh will come up with something else to make this whole situation sticky. They just decreed that the next "full" pool level will be 3 or 4' more than it is now, which I don't have a problem with. Just curious how they're gonna twist and spin this into a money-maker like usual. You can bet if Charlotte raises rates so will Raleigh in time.

I'm gonna have to side with the above posters regarding the NC big city influence that Charlotte has now, and Raleigh is apparently quickly acquiring regarding influencing their respective surrounding areas. It's a joke watching the Wake and City councils go at each other...no love lost there.

But, alas, I depart from forum policy. Anybody bought anymore rain barrels? How much? :-)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths