Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamcc_gw

rhubarb

mamcc
18 years ago

Has anyone been successful growing rhubarb in the Piedmont? I am from Toronto and rhubarb grows there without even trying. I have heard that it is very difficult to grow here in Charlotte.

Comments (7)

• wgafaw
    18 years ago

I'm in the Triad but originally from up north and I planted 3 last spring not knowing that it wasn't supposed to grow here. All 3 came up during the summer with a few stems each, then they died back and came back about 3 times. This spring 2 of them are coming back again but even though the leaves look big and strong the stems are only about 4 inches high. Don't know if I'll ever be able to harvest these but I will keep tryig. The strawberries next to them are doing great and I would love some strawberry rhubarb pie.

JP

• hoyaheel
    18 years ago

My mother-in-law tried for years but said the winters just don't get cold enough (or stay cold long enough?) She moved from Ohio 28 years ago and said she tried for many years (in Durham and Bahama). So I haven't even bothered (I grew up in CT and we had it like a weed in our back yard from the houses's previous owner...)

My blueberries do great here though :-)

• tamelask
    18 years ago

have tried & tried & tried. best thing i can say is grow it as a container plant in the fall in a big container with rich soil & lotsa water, over winter, it'll get big in spring. harvest all the stems- don't worry about killing it b/c it'll just die anyhow. in other words, treat it as an annual crop. that's the only way iv'e had any luck & i've tried at least 6x. i think marsha(chapel hill gardener) was going to try agian. there was a thread this winter about it. maybe she had some luck. tam

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

after all the rhubarb feedback last winter, i decided not to plant it. i sent the roots to a friend up north where it should live happily ever after :)
    marsha

• lucky_p
    18 years ago

It doesn't even do well here in z6 KY; just too hot in the summer.
    But, you can grow it from seed, as a winter annual. There are folks as far south as Tampa FL who do it that way.
    Google up 'The Rhubarb Compendium' for all the rhubarb info that you'd care to ingest.

• tamelask
    18 years ago

thanks for that! glad to know my raise it as a winter annual idea was a valid one. i noticed while taking care of tj's stuff that he has some small ones going. btw, here's the direct link:

Here is a link that might be useful: rhubarb compendium

• immrlizard
    18 years ago

I planted some last year and it did ok. All but one died, but it is back and really going now. I attribut it more to the lack of water and it being a new bed last year then anything else. I have 3 more I am going to plant this year. I don't know why I am doing it. I could turn that into space for more blueberries or strawberries.

Thanks for the info tamelask!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting