Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

Free Tour Sunday at the J C Raulston Arb in Raleigh

Ralph Whisnant
14 years ago

I am doing the tour of the J C Raulston Arboretum this coming Sunday at 2pm and would like to invite all of my Garden Web friends to come and bring their families, friends and neighbors. Even if you have been there recently, there is always something new blooming. Also, there has been a lot of new stuff added in the Southwest Garden and in the brand new Asian Valley.

Comments (13)

• bubba62
    14 years ago

Wish I could be there - I love that place!

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Ralph- approximately how long do the tours last? We are planning on coming.

• zigzag
    14 years ago

I did the tour w/Ralph back last fall .... think that's when it was (pleading the grey hair defense here) and Ralph was a wonderful guide. I learned a lot and my appreciation for the Arboretum was heightened.

As I recall, the actual walk thru w/narrative was 90 minutes or so (Ralph can dispute or confirm that), but once thru w/a good guide, one will probably want to linger and revisit areas of interest.

• nc_peaceful
    14 years ago

This sounds wonderful! Im going to try to make it!

• DYH
    14 years ago

I didn't make it on Sunday, but we went this afternoon.

I love the new "planters" in the bedding trials area. A student told us that the DOT donated those corrugated plastic pipes to use. I like the colors, too!

{{gwi:570224}}

The iris tectorum 'Alba' in the Lath House is one of my favorites. Do you know if it is deer resistant or not?

{{gwi:570225}}

It was a nice afternoon to see the gardens. We'll have to go back at the end of May for more blooms.

Cameron

{{gwi:570227}}

• zigzag
    14 years ago

nc_peaceful ..... you missed Ralph's tour, but there are free, guided tours at the JCRA every Sunday afternoon and all the guides (members) are very knowledgeable.

Even taking a self guided tour is well worth your time and since it changes daily, walking thu the Arboretum will never get 'been there, done that' old.

I used to live closer and went there a lot .....

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

Cameron, the deer have not bothered my Iris tectorum, either 'alba' or the species.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Karen -- thanks! The deer and rabbits run my life!

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

I can sympathize. I have a new bunny that just moved into the side beds. We spotted it last weekend when I was watering a few pots and the spray from the hose must have startled it into moving. My husband and I thought we had it pinned down when it scooted into a hole in the drystack stone wall that borders that part of the garden. So my husband got a bright idea to try and smoke it out. I stood on the opposite side of the wall, ready with rake, while he started a small leaf fire in the middle of the Salvia puberala. There was plenty of smoke, but the only thing that stuck a body part out on my side was a copperhead. It was the tail end, thank goodness, so he stepped on it to pin it down and then pulled steadily until it relaxed enough to pull the rest out. So the rabbit still runs free, and now I jump every time I catch a glimpse of skink in the wall out of the corner of my eye. I hope Salvia puberala doesn't mind ash.

• DYH
    14 years ago

I know this is off-topic, but I am having great success with "I Must Garden" rabbit repellent that is made (organic) in Chapel Hill. It doesn't smell bad and it lasts a long time.

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

Cameron, can you tell me what ingredients are in it?

• nc_peaceful
    14 years ago

Thanks zigzag..I just realized this was for LAST Sunday!

I will have to go solo soon!

• DYH
    14 years ago

the ingredients are "food grade." Lemon grass oil, thyme oil, rosemary oil, mint oil and such are the active ingredients. Eggs, fish oil, castor oil and some things like that are inert ingredients.

It smells like mint. Not bad at all. You can order it online from the website.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures