Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Rhipsalis

rootdiggernc
16 years ago

I really love Rhipsalis (related to epiphyllums) and I think mine are gettting ready to bloom. One of them bloomed last year (just a couple) and it had these clear looking berries that are so cool!! This year at least one of them is loaded with the beginning sign of new growth or blooms, not sure which yet (lol). I think the cool winter greenhouse (over the dark winter house) has really helped them. Does anyone else grow Rhipsalis?

I found this website with pics and they are incredible!! Will take pics of mine to post when they actually bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

Comments (12)

• blueangel
    16 years ago

Great photos Thanks for posting them
    Blueangel

• mbuckmaster
    16 years ago

I had no idea there were so many varieties of this neat plant...thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to get some.

• dellare
    16 years ago

Oh Root those are soooo cool. My first spring here I was having lunch with my sisters in a nice little bistro in Southern Pines and I begged a start of this little beauty. Is it a rhipsalis or an epiphyllum?

{{gwi:570239}}

{{gwi:570240}}

{{gwi:570241}}

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

Deb, I have a plant that I have never id that looks like it could be one of these. It is about to bloom (red-orange buds), so I will bring a piece to the swap for your consideration.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're welcome Blue... I really love the looks of these little jewels!

MBuck, Bob Smoley (online) has a nice selection of Rhips and other odd succulents.

Adele, It looks like an epiphyllum to me, but I'm no pro. Rhips (the ones I've seen so far) kind of remind me of mini epis, so sweet! One thing that messes me up is they keep regrouping/naming the epies, along with some others. I think they're confused so I'm sure I am!! We talked about your plant before. I'd still love to have a piece of it someday!

Ralph, wonderful I look forward to seeing it! I have really fallen for these guys. One thing I really like about them is they take up less space than the epies. I have a rickrack/fishbone orchid (Cryptocereus anthonyanus) that is getting huge!

Here is a link that might be useful: E.strictum

• trianglejohn
    16 years ago

I only thought these guys came in the rounded sticks - some of these look so much like Epi's! I bet some of the ones I have are really Rhipsalis'. I have some to share, will bring to the swap. I even have some sort of tropical epiphytic cactus that over wintered!!!!! I had tossed it towards the compost pile where it lay all winter on the ground,,, its still alive!!! Now if it would just fill out or bloom or something to warrant me keeping it in my collection.

Did I ever share that long long long hangy downy cactus with you?? I have some started. I think its called pencil cactus. Blooms red. By the end of summer the plant can hang down 6 feet!! great basket plant.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

John, I don't know, but I'd love to have whatever you can share, epies or rhips!!!!!!! I have one, I think it may be R. micrantha. It really does look like a mini epi. I traded for it several years ago. They said they gave me two different ones, both unknown. I stuck them in the same pot and now am not sure which is which, never could tell them apart. I set it too low last year and the slugs did a job on it before I noticed. It's still recovering from that and looks bad from it. I guess I need to just restart some of it. Will share it in the fall. I need backup insurance on these guys, lol.

• Ralph Whisnant
    16 years ago

I did a search in the Plant Files on Dave's Garden for epiphyllum thinking that I might be able to distinguish whether my plant is an Epi or a Rhipsalis. The search came back with over 2,100 hits for Epiphyllums, so I gave up.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hehehe Ralph but they're still such cool plants!! I think they've been playing with the names a lot lately too, so just enjoy them. I may someday send or take some snippings to someone that knows these guys to identify them, but they're still great and super easy to care for without a name. Some do quite well with the low light levels of a winter house and some like more light but thankfully will take a chilly greenhouse. I'm just happy I can grow them!

John, here's one you gave me..... Rhipsalis salicornioides (also called Hatiora salicornioides) and some of the common names are Dancing Bones Cactus, Drunkard's Dream and Spice Cactus. The other one you gave me looks like some sort of spaghetti rhip, but I've never been able to figure that one out.

• rhips123
    12 years ago

visit rhipsalis.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhipsalis

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Rhip, I have spent many hours on that site in the past! Do you grow any yourself? Is that what your name is from?

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Mine have bloomed, but most of the time I miss the blooms and never notice until they're fruiting, lol. The little berries hang on a long, long time!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor