Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

Some More Unknown Items

aezarien
15 years ago

This one is about the size of a quarter. Grows wild in the yard.

{{gwi:570316}}

This was given to me by a neighbor. I have been told it was a weed and been told it just looks like something else that is a weed.

{{gwi:570319}}

The next two photos, I know are roses. I'm just wondering what species it is.

{{gwi:570322}}

{{gwi:570325}}

Any clues will again be greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

The first is oxeye daisy and the second looks like pink sorrell. Does the second one have clover-like leaves? That's a beautiful picture of the rose. It could be Dr. Huey. Is it a climber?

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

The second one does look like pink sorrel, perhaps Oxalis violacea. Grows from a tiny nut/seed on individual stems (unlike the yellow one which creeps and has roots). This can be a horrible pest once it gets in (even though it is native), can't be pulled but must be dug out and the stems often separate from the nut at the slightest pressure!

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I should have photographed the whole plants. I forgot how helpful the foliage type can be.

The first one has foliage not unlike chamomile and it grows like chamomile but the flowers are bigger than the German chamomile I have and there is no apple/pineapple smell to the flowers.

The second does have leaves like a clover only they are a little brighter green and bigger. It looks like the yellow weedy stuff I have found in the yard but the flowers are bigger and the leaves are much bigger. It grows in a neat and tidy rounded over sort of snowball formation. It gets bigger every year but not by much. I do have it planted in a part sun location though.

The rose grows like crazy. It was all flopped over and laying on the ground when we moved in a year and a half ago. I cut it WAY back to get it off the ground last year and now it is just as big as it was... flopping over onto the ground. It probably has erect growth for about five feet then it flops over another six feet lol.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Here's a link to pics of the foliage of oxeye daisy, which is narrow and strappy. The second plant is some type of pink sorrell (sounds like a cultivar), and the third sounds just like Dr. Huey, which is commonly used as rootstock.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

The second one looks like blue-eyed grass, which is in the iris family. Are the leaves grass like? If you look closely you can tell it looks like a mini iris. As for the color of it...some plants are almost white...pink...purple..and blue.

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a photo listed under Pink Sorrel in the plant files that looks exactly like what #2 looks like before bloom.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/70548/

It has the lighter green clover-like foliage and the mounding type growth behavior.

The Dr. Huey photos look a lot like the roses here too. It has some health issues but it takes a lot.

The daisy has a feathery foliage. From everything I have looked at over the past few days I am beginning to think it is scentless Mayweed.

I'll snap a few more photos over the weekend.

Thanks so much for helping!

• tamelask
    15 years ago

The daisy may be a type of anthemis- i don't know the species, but someone may fill it in. It looks just like a chamomile with 1" daisy flowers and none of the lovely smell. Nice plant, actually.

I agree the second one is an oxalis, not blue eyed grass. Blue eyed grass have pointed tips to the petals, not rounded, and are straight petals, not furled.

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some better photos of that daisy... with foliage this time lol. By the way Alicia, ironically enough, I think I have Oxeye daisy growing in a pot out in the yard. I have absolutely NO clue how it came to be but it looks just like it to me.

{{gwi:570328}}

{{gwi:570331}}

{{gwi:570334}}

And I am certain we identified this one but.. heres a photo of it anyway lol.
    {{gwi:570336}}
    And last but not least... here is the growth habit of that rose bush. I have already pulled the vinca from beneath it once this season...Apparently it doesn't like things growing under it because it doesn't do as well with all that under there...
    {{gwi:570338}}

• carrie630
    15 years ago

I love Oxalis - if it's a weed, I wish I could find some in my woods! (These I bought and put them in my new shade area) I notice that they don't do as well in the hot sun so I keep them shaded) Does yours mound like these?

{{gwi:570340}}

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Tina your rose looks like Dr. Huey.

• aezarien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carrie - I think they are pretty too. And yes they do mound very nicely.. like a half ball shape. Are the white flowers in your garden a white variety or something else?

Alicia - I was pretty sure you were right about that from the beginning. I just figured I would post a photo of the whole plant just in case it mattered in identifying it. By the way - The digitalis you posted in the other thread are amazing. I had some of that at our previous home.

• carrie630
    15 years ago

I actually bought those white ones in a nursery after I already had the pinks and they said no one wanted them, reduced them and that's how I got them. I have no idea what they are called, except I just call them White woods sorrell.

I really wanted to split them, thought they had tubers, but only thick roots. Will try and cut them in half next year - hope they do okay.

Carrie

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Thank you Tina. I love foxglove too and it's nice to have something I know the deer won't touch!

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I think the Oxalis y'all have is not the same as this weedy one I was talking about. That one never clumps, just keeps going and going .... It also has burgundy coloring on the underside of the leaf. And it only puts out one flower per stem whereas the one that aezarian posted clearly has multiple flowers per stem.