Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I swear the tag said Japanese Foxglove

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 08 at 1:59

This year I finally have an unusual bloom. Two of the three plants look like a garden variety foxglove that starts blooming from the bottom.
This one is beginning to bloom from the bottom but has a larger more open bell-shaped flower with more speckles and it is growing right on the top of the stalk on a stem around an inch long.

I tried googling japanese foxglove but found no photos for comparison.
Does anyone know what I am describing and do I have the right name?
It's that one funky flower on the top of the stalk that is unusual.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I swear the tag said Japanese Foxglove

I think you may have a Chinese foxglove, Rehmannia elata. That name pulls up pictures. I love this one, and had it grow up from seeding in right next to your more typical foxglove. Rehmannia seeds in so nicely, and has been easy for me to transplant, unlike some columbines or others that seed in freely. I am trying in all over my garden. Hope this helps!

o

Nope, I just googled and that's not it. The leaves look just like the regular white foxglove and the lower flowers match the regular foxglove.
The only thing unusual about this one is that strange belled and ruffled flower on the very top of the stalk where, on a reg. foxglove, it would be closed immature flower buds and a growing end to the stalk.
It's weird. Hope it seeds from that flower and I'll save seed.

o

Are you able to post pics? You try a host site like photobucket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here