Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring blooming shrubs - for color

Posted by nancedar z7 NCWakeForest (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 7:11

I had to laugh this spring when I noticed my most visible flower bed (that I see from my kitchen) had only white blooming spring flowers!

Spirea, Viburnums, Cotoneaster, white Redbud, Mock Orange, and an Azalea, along with the Jonquils. These were plopped in small and now make a major statement - White. Way too much white. Any suggestions for shrubs that bloom in color when these do would be welcomed. Prior to their blooming I have forsythia and daffodils. After their blooming I have some Iris and Tradescantia, but then just green unless I put in some annuals - which I'd rather not. I need help on this one, friends.

Oh yeah, it is a deer path so I have to be careful not to make a salad bar for them.

Nancy the nancedar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring blooming shrubs - for color

Abelia, Anthony Waterer Spirea, Loropetalum-dwarf, Quince are just a few I can think of at this time of day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

Lantana, butterfly bush, rose of sharon, roses, salvias, vitex, camellias are a few.

o

Other colored azaleas?

o

I was thinking possibly Florida azalea and Weigela. I'm Spring bloom challenged myself. Do the red and yellow buckeyes bloom then?

o

My first thought was native azaleas, although deer will browse those. I have a deer resistant list somewhere in one of my notebooks.

o

I have a friend who has deer come right up to her house and eat nearly everything. She has been using milorganite with great success.

o

Not sure how deer resistant they are but I love the flame azaleas that are blooming now in the mountains!!

Here are a few suggestions - not all are deer proof, but deer resistant.

*Rockrose - likes good drainage and is blooming now
*Barberry - color and berries
*Caryopteris - Blue Mist Shrub
*Russian Sage - silver and blue
*Caryopteris divaricata ''Snow Fairy,
*Salvias
*Hydrangeas
*Beautyberry - purple or white berries
*Chastetree/vitex - - you can cut it back to keep it in shrub form
*Lindera/Spicebush -
*Summersweet/Clethra alnifolia - pink or white
*Spirea - summer blooming types
*Camellias - fall and spring bloomers

Not sure about the deer resistance of these.
Winter bloomers
Wintersweet
Winterhazel - Corylopsis spicata
Winterhoneysuckle

o

Baptisia, although they will probably bloom after the first plants that you listed.
Dianthus
Strawberry foxglove
Penstemon -- blooms with and after Baptisia
Salvias

o

Jessamine blooms at that time -- deer won't eat it. I don't know about beautybush (Kolkwitzia amabilis) and Weigela.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here