Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyflora

Buddha's Hand Citrus

amyflora
15 years ago

Hey folks! So, there I am at the Sanford Kmart, and sitting amongst the petunias and sad looking roses is this plant marked Buddha's Hand Citron. Well, I am Buddhist, and so couldn't pass it up!! How on earth did this little guy end up at Kmart? It was the only one, and perhaps it was just destiny. So, my question is, does anyone around here have any experience with it? I searched on here, and most of the folks growing it were in Florida or California, but I hoped someone might have grown it. Thanks everyone, and have a happy weekend!

Comments (4)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Kudos on your catch! That is a hard one to find. I don't grow it, but i think you grow it like other citrus. Citrus are pretty easy. They like sun, infrequent but deep watering, lots of food, and are great potted. Most are not hardy here, though they love a cool greenhouse for winter- they just need protection from had frost. The blooms smell heavenly on citrus, and will bloom in winter, and often summer, too. Fruit takes forever to ripen. If you want some more tips, try reading over on the citrus forum. Just know they are a lot more hardcore than you need to be. :)

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Way COOL Amy, Try the citrus forum if you don't have any luck here. I know I've seen it mentioned many times over there. On our forum there's a guy from Charleston, SC that raises a lot of citrus. He brought me a calamondin citrus to our Raleigh swap one year... Ummm... Cactusrequim is his GW name. He just hosted the plant swap in Charleston on the exchange page, in case I messed the spelling of it up.

Good Luck with it! So far I have Keylime, Calamondin, unkwn lemon and an unkwn orange. The orange was a gift from my kids several years ago. A friend of one of them had picked it up from the airport on a trip to FL, it had all of about 2 little leaves and might have been 2 inches tall, now it's about 2 feet tall and growing fast. I was concerned I'd kill it since it was so tiny. Don't know what kind it is or if it'll ever fruit, but being as it's from my kids it has a special place. Even though I had others before, raising that one taught me citrus is a lot tougher then we tend to think. Oh and I feed mine an actual citrus fertilizer (hard to find) or fertilizer for acid loving plants. There are extra minerals it needs in the citrus formulas. I think I found mine while at the coast.

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

I've seen the Iron Chefs using that funky Buddha's Hand fruit. I think they just use the peel. It's got to be the strangest looking fruit I've ever seen...

• john_ny
    15 years ago

Grow like any other citrus. Does fine in a pot, if it's big enough. The peel, or the rind is what is used. It is candied, and used in baking. Most citron, are round to oval, but this one has the unusual shape. The little green cubes, found in fruitcake, etc., are citron.

{{gwi:571153}}

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!