Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanc21

Identifying wild blueberries in SC

shanc21
13 years ago

Hi,

I have found a small stand of wild blueberries in some woods near my house and am trying to figure out what kind they are. I live in West Columbia very close to the Saluda River - these woods are on a bluff adjacent to the river on the edge of a primarily pine woods. They are getting sun because they are on the edge. None of the descriptions or pictures of blueberries I've found on the internet quite fit. Does anybody know what types of blueberries grow wild in SC. Here are the characteristics - There is an area about 20 foot square that has several clumps of bushes spread through it. Each clump has probably 2 or 3 bushes very close together. Most bushes are 2-3 feet high, but some are smaller and one is 6-8 ft. high. The leaves are small, opposite, and have a hint of fine serration. The leaf stems are reddish. The canes are brown and green. The berries are tiny - like BBs. I am pretty sure they are blueberries and not huckleberries, based on seed count and fruit flesh color. They are very flavorful, just tiny. I think they are spreading by rhizomes, which from what I've read, would make them "lowbush" but lowbush isn't supposed to grow in the south, and isn't supposed to get as big as these. None of the pictured varieties that do grow in the south that I've found on the web have leaves this small. So I am perplexed. There is wild muscadine grape growing in this same spot all intertwined with the blueberry bushes. Thanks for any help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH