Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying wild blueberries in SC

Posted by shanc21 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 8:58

Hi,
I have found a small stand of wild blueberries in some woods near my house and am trying to figure out what kind they are. I live in West Columbia very close to the Saluda River - these woods are on a bluff adjacent to the river on the edge of a primarily pine woods. They are getting sun because they are on the edge. None of the descriptions or pictures of blueberries I've found on the internet quite fit. Does anybody know what types of blueberries grow wild in SC. Here are the characteristics - There is an area about 20 foot square that has several clumps of bushes spread through it. Each clump has probably 2 or 3 bushes very close together. Most bushes are 2-3 feet high, but some are smaller and one is 6-8 ft. high. The leaves are small, opposite, and have a hint of fine serration. The leaf stems are reddish. The canes are brown and green. The berries are tiny - like BBs. I am pretty sure they are blueberries and not huckleberries, based on seed count and fruit flesh color. They are very flavorful, just tiny. I think they are spreading by rhizomes, which from what I've read, would make them "lowbush" but lowbush isn't supposed to grow in the south, and isn't supposed to get as big as these. None of the pictured varieties that do grow in the south that I've found on the web have leaves this small. So I am perplexed. There is wild muscadine grape growing in this same spot all intertwined with the blueberry bushes. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying wild blueberries in SC

It is difficult to identify your 'blueberry' without seeing it. Suggest that you place a call to one of the Carolina's native plant and plant hunter experts, Bob McCartney at Woodlander's Nursery in Aiken, SC. He should be able to help you and may even be interested in your discovery. Nursery phone number is 803-648-7522.

o

Thanks - I will definately seek such help. May try to post some pictures as well.

o

You likely have more than one kind there, by the way. Here is Georgia, it is not uncommon for me to find 3 different species in a wooded area.

The tall one could be Vaccinium corymbosum if the leaves are not shiny; Vaccinium arboreum if they are thick and shiny.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaccinium page

o

I was told that all the flavor is in the skin so bigger berry does not necessarily mean more yummy - which could explain why tiny berries would seem tastier.

o

Most wild berries i've had- be they on tall or short bushes taste great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here