Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Oranges in NC Zone 8a?

Posted by hdcochran 8a (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 9:45

Does anyone have experience growing potted Valencia and/or Hamlin oranges in coastal NC zone 8a wintering indoors? Do they get enough sun to ripen well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Oranges in NC Zone 8a?

Potted citrus can do very well here in 7B, so I'd imagine they'd do just as well or better for you in 8A. I grow limes myself, which are a little easier than oranges, but I know several people who grow Valencia in pots and they do fine. There's an art to keeping them alive year after year, though, and I haven't gotten to that point yet...only in my second year. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some advice on that. But go for it!...citrus in NC is too tempting to not try it!

o

• Posted by ashef coastal NC z8 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 29, 10 at 20:56

Have you considered planting cold-hardy citrus in the ground instead? I'm near Wilmington & McKenzie Farms in South Carolina has quite a few varieties that thrive here.

Here is a link that might be useful: McKenzie Farms

o

I'm in zone 7b (Raleigh NC) and I grow many citrus (some in pots and some in the ground). Oranges have been the hardest to get a decent crop from. Easy to grow, easy to overwinter indoors, great early spring bloom but most of the fruit fall off before summer heat sets in. Blood oranges have been slightly better than Navel oranges. All the tangerines have been better than any of the oranges. Lemons next and then limes. Calamondins and kumquats perform better than any of the others with Calamondins always in bloom and always in fruit throughout the year - but they are insanely sour and most folks don't like the flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here