First hollyhocks of the season

rosebush
17 years ago

{{gwi:572083}}

I just love these - they get taller than I am! Fordhook Romance Collection

Comments (9)

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

My hollyhock is not near ready to flower yet, but they are coming. I have one big plant and one small plant that from one I planted last year are the year before. I also growing some from seads in peat pots that not planted in ground yet.

• dirtysc8
    17 years ago

Oooh, how lovely! Bet they look good near your roses, too.

• lynnencfan
    17 years ago

I have 4 different colors blooming right now - I LOVE THEM - I am going to plant more for the long perennial border we have put in. The perennial border actually got started last fall because two hollyhocks had self seeded in a line of pine trees along the edge of grass (well weeds but we liked to think it was grass when it was mowed) along with some blackeyed susans. Seemed like a good place for a new garden - lol....

Lynne

picture taken last fall - big green clumps are the hollyhocks

{{gwi:361839}}

• rosebush
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These pale peach HH were planted from seed the first year I moved to NC. They come up every year, and I also have some dark magenta HH in another bed that are just starting to bloom as well. Couldn't ever grow these in So FL, so it's a real treat to see the stalks shoot up and the buds open. . .
    Basil I think I remember seeing one of your photos with a hollyhock in it. Your gardens are gorgeous. . .
    Thanks, Dirty. The HH are actually planted with herbs and kind of just take over the bed when they bloom. . .
    Lynne, what a great border you'll have in those trees!

• K
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! Mine are blooming now, too. It's the first time I've had them. Two things I've learned so far: 1. if you plan to transplant them, do it the first year before they get the flower stalks. 2. if any get broken off (dogs, lawn mowers, etc.), you can actually snip the bottom off cleanly and put it in the ground and it will re-root! I did take the flower buds off the top so it could concentrate on making roots.

• basil_davis
    17 years ago

Today June 12, 2006 my first hollyhock open. It is going to look great when it get started going. For one plant it takes up a lot of space.

• dirtysc8
    17 years ago

rosebush, where did you get your seeds of the Fordhook Romance Collection?

• rosebush
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kate - I didn't realize they will root like that. . .
    Basil - Congrats! Yes, they sure do take up space, but they're worth it.
    Dirty - I can't even remember where I bought the seeds now, but I save them every year and have plenty if you would like some.

• Marlene198046_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

My daughter ran over my biggest hollyhock with her powerwheel :(. I planted them last year, this year so far this is only one with flower budds, and it was big compared to the others. Stalks thick about 3x2 feet, I was soo excited. Is there any luck that this will grow back, should I leave the roots in the ground?? So disapointed, I have 3 others growing and I hope they start budding soon, but they are so much smaller then the one that broke. Any suggestions please.