Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
agava americana

Posted by bluesgarden 7/8 (rickyottaway@bellsouth.net) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 10:42

I have a "baby agava I took from my sisters adult plant. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best place/ technique to plant it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: agava americana

I think you mean 'agave'. Prolific producer of babies out the holes of the pot. Actually ,it's pretty scary knowing that one agave in the ground makes a large cluster so keep that in mind if you decide to put it in the ground instead of a pot. Give it some good space in a place where no one will get speared. The leaf tips are lethal. I tried cutting off the needle ends of the tips and the plant didn't like that.
Mine was already potted in a mix of dirt(nothing special)course gravel and some further ground up bark fines to hold a little more moisture but still be well drained.

o

Thank you . It can be huge and the spikes are painful to say the least . All I read says arid conditions yet my sisters plant which is 5 feet tall is in a wet environment and produces "babies" at the base. I have sandy soils as I am in the coastal region on NC. I put it in an area where it can grow away from family and pets. Lets hope she likes it there.

o

A friend gave me an agave offset that was teeny tiny about 2 years ago. Not having beating hot full sun, I put the little prickly one in a low terra cotta pot in my sunniest place. It has done so well and is now about 6 to 8 inches across.

good luck, claire in sanford

o

Prickly is an understatement. I had a blue agave in a low terracotta round planter..about 12" deep by 30" in diameter and the little ones went berzerk growing along and under the big one. It got dangerously large until I started snipping off the tip points. Unfortunately, a week of really cold weather did it in and I decided to pitch the babies out as well. Love how the backs of the leaves continue to show the impression of the leaf edges of the outer leaves.
If this had been in the ground where the soil better insulates from cold I'd probably still have it.
If you plant it in a pot, put the pot on a rolling base so you can move the plant indoors by pulling the base with a rope. Otherwise you'll get speared for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here