Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Rescuing an old rusty wheel barrel

deirdre_2007
14 years ago

Good morning,

Okay, I think my neighbor thinks I'm crazy and I most likely am, and my hubby will either just roll his eyes, or get his knees in a knot, but I had to do it. I was driving my daughter to school this morning and as I passed by my neighbor's house, I noticed they were throwing away an old wheel barrel.

Of course, I thought, I need that. I can throw some dirt in there and plant some flowers in it. So on my way home, the garbage truck was directly in front of her house. Shoot, I missed my chance. But wait, they left it behind. Meanwhile, my neighbor is pulling in her yard and sees it there and the trash cans are all over the place. I pull into another neighbor's driveway and flag her down. Did I say that we're one of those, "wave and nod communities"?? I couldn't tell you anyone's name, but we all dutifully nod and wave to one another as we drive past.

I asked her if it would be okay to take the old wheel barrel. Now this thing is a mess. It's completely rusty and they'd used it to mix cement. The handles are in perfect shape, the wheel while a bit flat, is still in perfect shape. The barrel itself is rusty and needs to be cleaned, but it suits my purpose.

I'm figuring on getting a wire mesh brush to clean out as much of the debris as I can, and then buying a bunch of Rustoleum. I'll have hubby drill a few drainage holes, and bam, now I have a spot for all of my million seedlings.

I'm so excited you'd think I won the lottery. I promise to post some before and after pics when I finally get around to this project.

Comments (4)