Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

Cannas Overwinter in a Pond

aezarien
13 years ago

I have read quite a few posts on Garden Web on the subject but am interested in opinions from people in the immediate area because from what I am reading, how warm the climate is makes a difference in how deep you plant them in the pond/water and expect them to live and return.

I have a small, maybe a foot and a half to two foot deep pond and two half barrels with water plants in them. I received a canna of unknown variety at the swap. From the looks of the leaves and the description of the flower it may be a Durban. I have a huge umbrella palm in the pond so I am thinking of putting the canna in the half barrel but will surely move some stuff around if need be if it means one less plant to lift and store over winter. My greenhouse space is pretty much already claimed.

I have read both that they needed to be lifted and protected during the winter months and if you sink them further down in the pond/barrel where it doesn't freeze that they will gladly return the next year.

Does anyone have any experience with growing cannas in water the zone 7b area that may have some insight to share?

Thanks!

-Tina

Comment (1)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional