Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

Planting Blueberries in a Half Barrel

aezarien
13 years ago

I have two rabbit eye blueberries, one of which I know is an early blue that I got out of one of those stick in a box deals lol.. and I forget the variety of the other but it came from Lowe's in one of the larger established pots and I know that it is a rabbit eye.

I have heard that blueberries need large containers, wider rather than deeper, and I am wondering if I drill several two-three inch holes in the bottom, if a half barrel will accommodate both plants. My concerns are that A) it won't be big enough for one much less both and B) since it would be in a container if it would be less hardy and likely to freeze in the winter. The spot that we have planned for it gets mostly full sun. We have a little (very little) shade from plants around the back and a juvenile black cherry tree but once the area is planted out, the container will be shaded by a planting of herb plants around the pot. I'm not sure if it is going to look as good as I have it planned out in my head but I intend on making that a centerpiece for an herb garden with what will be a small shaded area behind for herbs that can use a little shade for the hottest part of the day. The area is in a raised bed, I think, about two feet above grade.

I actually have two half barrels that I can use if one can accommodate at least one plant. If I an only plant one per barrel, how close to they have to be together in order for the plants to be beneficial for each other? I am not really good at estimating distances but I am thinking that where I want to put them, they might be about 30 feet apart. Will that be too far away?

As always, I appreciate any insight anyone might have.

-Tina

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?