Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itzybitzy_gw

Cheddar cheese powder on my coles...

itzybitzy_gw
12 years ago

Hello people this morning I found most of my vegetable garden cover in this yellow powder(cheddar cheese like)at fisrt I tought it was pollen but watching closely I notice it is heavy-er on the cool weather crops the tomatoes,peppers,beans have very litle,any body has an idea of what may be?

Comments (14)

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear Itzybitzy,
    Why do I think of Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese when I think of powdered, or finely grated, cheese? Is the cheesy-exudence powdery, or is it more of consistency of Kraft Easy Cheese that comes rope-like from its vacuum-sealed can? If the substance is actually thread-like, or rope-like, it may be that native, botanical horror of the vegetable garden: love vine, or dotter--a rather clingy horticultural nuisance.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

if it looks like school bus yellow silly string, it's dodder. Get every single scrap of it off your plants and be vigilant about rechecking every few days- it'll come back from a teeny bit. It's a parasitic nasty that sucks the life out of whatever it's on and grows so fast you'll swear you can watch it.

If it's more powdery, i'd guess it's some sort of fungal thing, though i've never seen anything quite like that. Did you try to rub or wash it off?

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gosh!, it is a orange powder just like the stuff you get on you fingers after eating cheetos or "cheese" balls...you can easely wash it off, but I didn't want to do anything dumb until I knew what it was or how to best handle it,now I have all kind of aphids under my tomatoes leaves (purple,white,green,brown,)every color,it is hard to know what to do I google it and had not luck with it,agrrr,thanks in advance you guys.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

I'm stumped.

• jay_7bsc
    12 years ago

Dear Itzybitzy,
    It sounds as if it's time to summon the aid of the experts at your county extension office.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Google,google,google.

Is it confined to just the area of your vegetable garden?
    Is it on the soil and weeds and mulch as well?
    Cedar apple rust creates an orangy yellow powder of spores. Do you have any cedar trees nearby with orangy/yellow or brown(aged) growths that look like multi-fingers? That's all I can think of.

Could you possibly post a photo or two of the plants effected?
    What are the nearest trees downwind of your garden(prevailing wind for your yard)?

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well the rain last night help a lot(I think)most of my misterious powder is gone just a sprinkle left I think I'm gonna take couple of plants cooperative ext. see what happens,thanks.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

Please let us know what they say!

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I feel soooo stupid,after Dottie mention the cedar rust I walked around my cedar trees looked and nothing by accident checked this tree right next to my veg. garden and boom I know were it's coming from,let me explain is coming from a sick looking tree(don't know the name)but is very common in the Greensboro area I wonder if is native,very early spring it gets cover in small white flowers that look just like pear blossom but is not a fruit tree,then is has a dark green leaves,medium size about 15 feet tall,I guess wen they droped the blossoms this "seed" grows instead kind of like a dogwood so this "seed" is the one cover in the orange fungus,since we moved to this house couple years ago I noticed this particular tree will have dried leaves in between healthy looking ones,so I kind of checked the other ones in the area and they all looked similar so I ignore the issue thinking it was normal,but now I'm no so sure...Is so embarrasing. Hope someone understand what I 'm trying to explain...

• tamelask
    12 years ago

wonder if it's a bradford pear or a callery pear? If they are bradford or callerys then they do set a very small fruit (they are pears- just inedible) and i'm sure they'd be susceptible to cedar apple rust. A few of my asian pears have had the orange fingers rust stuff coming out of them- i guess that's apple cedar rust. I feel silly b/c i didn't connect the dots with my asian pears, either. Don't feel stupid- that's how we all learn! And, there are all sorts of rusts, not just apple cedar rust.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

Well, you still might want to take a sprig of the tree effected to have the problem identified.

Least then you'll know if what's washed off the plants to the soil ought to be treated before you plant next season.
    Glad to hear my questions got you investigating other possibilities.

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tamelask is righ on,Im going for ornamental bradford pear 'cause is thornless,did some research and will be taking a branch to the experts...Thanks so much you guys and I'll post the results.

• itzybitzy_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got good and bad news aparently is Hawthorn rust,very common diasese for the variety of tree I have ( ornamental bradford pear) or something like that,is not going to kill it and it just going to look sad for the rest of the season.They told me they get it wen we have a very wet season and it only afects plants in the same family such as apples,pear,...anyways I checked all the trees around Greensboro and they all have it,I feel bad for the neighboors that have apple trees.Thank you all for you help.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    12 years ago

So it was a cedar/apple/hawthorn rust after all.
    If you keep that bradford you may want to google to find the plants it effects so you choose something else.