Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID plants (pics included)

Posted by duscarter 7 SC (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 12:24

New house in Myrtle Beach and have several plants growing. I would like to know what they are so I can research how to best care for them. This is new to me and this site is wonderful.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID plants (pics included)

1- Canna, can take full sun
2- Hosta, likes part shade and moist soil
3- xanthosoma Elephant ear, The more moisture you give it the larger it will get. Feed with a fertilizer high in nitrogen.
4- Maybe oleander

o

Duscarter,
Hosta 200 is right on with all the plants.
The last pic of the hughe Oleander, I just wanted you to know that they are one of the most poisonous plants known to man.
If you have children or pets, or will have visitors with children or pets that will be near that bush, get rid of it.
All parts of the plant are deadly.
Cannas are gorgeous! They love sun and water and are easy to grow.
Good Luck with your new home and congrats!!!!

o

Dear butterfly4u,
We Southerners have lived peacefully and tranquilly with oleanders for generations. What responsible parents need to do is instruct their children not to eat the horticulture. How many untimely demises can you think of that are due to ingesting _Nerium oleander_? It's an incredibly beautiful plant that is so widely used in landscaping that advising its removal is certainly impractical.

o

Oleander is very commonly planted in the Myrtle Beach area. I'm not sure I've ever stayed anywhere on vacation there that didn't have oleander in the landscape.

o

Duscarter can do what he/she likes with the oleander, the important thing is that butterfly4u let him/her know that it is poisonous. I think it's pretty important information for a newbie gardener. Just my two cents!!

o

Thanks for the replies. I need to move the Canna's. They get very little sun where they are at. Will probably keep the Oleander, if I can make it more bushy. Read another thread on here about cutting it back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here