Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cogaha_gw

Where to buy herbs

cogaha
15 years ago

Hello! I have a question about buying herbs. My daughter is into a series of children's books that deal with feral cats in the forest, and there are medicine cats that use various herbs in the stories. We thought it would be a fun project to do an herb garden using as many of those herbs as possible. Here is a list of herbs/plants that we have not found yet, and I wonder if any of you have suggestions on where to find them (I prefer not to mail order if I don't have to).

Borage, Burdock, Chervil, Coltsfoot, Dock, Feverfew, Tansy

We have already looked at the Farmer's Market in Raleigh and at Fairview Garden Center. Please let me know if you know where I could locate any of these plants, some of which I haven't heard of before.

Thanks so much.

Comments (2)

• tamelask
    15 years ago

farmer's market should have had chervil, borage, feverfew and tansy. BB's in sanford would have those 4 and some others- they have a very deep selection, in many cases having 2 or 3 different varieties to choose from. For instance, i know they carry about 6 tansies. Chervil, borage and feverfew are all annuals and also easy from seed (pinetree carries all of those as does le jardin du gourmet). Burdock, coltsfoot and dock are all weeds. Coltsfoot grows to the west of us, nearer the mountains. I've tried to transplant some twice now from PA and am not sure if it's too warm here because it's a real pest up there. The other 2 you should be able to find locally in a field or someone's pasture. I know i used to have dock growing in my backyard, but we may have killed it all. Burdock gets awful prickers, so you may or may not want it. It also grow up near the mtns, too.

Another local nursery that carries a good selection of herbs is Campbell road, and Logan's does, too. I don't go up to Atlantic Ave much, but they did have a good selection last time i was out. I doubt they'll have the 3 weedy herbs, though. One other place to try is a place called the little red hen or little herb house or something along those lines. I'll have to look that one up. I know Lisa Treadaway is the owner, so maybe she's in the book. She carries some of the more unusual things. I just looked and have her number, but not the name of the shop. It's down in the southern part of the county, near holly springs or Angier. Email me and i can give you her #.

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

Wake Forest Farmer's Market (downtown by the gazebo) on Saturdays from 8 to 12 = Two vendors sell a variety of potted and freshly cut herbs and one sells seeds.

Lisa's shop name is The Little Herb House, 5800 Holland Church Road. Raleigh, North Carolina. (919) 772-3543 Huge selection of herbs - lots I had never heard of before!

Chervil has a wonderful flavor - but do not eat it if you are pregnant or nursing. Great sauteed with mushrooms. It does look very much like Poison Hemlock so be sure you buy the right stuff if you are going to ingest it.

Burdock is a weed with huge leaves. It is very prickly, as tam said, and I get a mild reaction to it similar to juniper and red cedar leaves - itchy. Perhaps something that LOOKS like it would be better to grow? Common Hosta (like Sum and Substance, Blue Mammoth, Thunderbolt), though not edible, have big leaves and it could be a pretend Burdock.

Coltsfoot is a weed too, as tam said. An alternative could be our native Chrysogonum (Green and Gold) that has yellow flowers all summer, or perhaps a Delosperma (yellow Ice Plant) that has the frilly yellow petals?

Feverfew is very common and does spread where you don't want it to. Flowers all summer look like tiny daisies. Do not ingest it if you are pregnant or nursing. I've found that it makes me sneeze.

Borage is absolutely beautiful. The fuzzy leaves and stems glisten in the sun and the edible blue flowers taste like cucumber. It is beneficial to lots of veggies when grown amongst them. They do not transplant well so sowing some seeds is the way to go. They self seed so you could have them for many years but they are not invasive and easily pulled.

Tansy is a true weed that has killed horses and cattle grazing on it. I can attest that it has voracious deep creeping roots and any little bit of root makes a dozen more plants. In its favor the lovely flower bunch is a joy so I do grow it in a large pot but well away from anything else. Coincidently my tansy pot has a clay fairy sitting on the edge which goes along with your child's story book! Perhaps I need a copy of the book? What its name?

Nancy the nacedar