Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulu4_gw

Transplanting a knockout rose

lulu4
15 years ago

Does transplanting a knockout rose from a pot to in the ground "traumatize" it? I transplanted one and it's not blooming and doesn't seem to be doing as well as before. Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Depends on how established it was in its old site. It may need some time to set down roots first before blooming. How long has it been in its new site?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

They're nearly bullet proof. Keep it watered, give it some rosetone (which I like) some miracle grow, it will be fine.

Here's a few pictures of some of mine.

{{gwi:573303}}

{{gwi:573304}}

• claudia_sandgrower
    15 years ago

Wow... those are really beautiful! I took your advice and moved my little Knockout. I just posted to the other Knockout thread with another reply to your advice... I'm still having the same problems, though.

But can I go off-topice a little bit? I want to ask about the plant growing in the lower left-hand corner of the last picture... is that a Peegee hydrangea? I've got one that I just identified (I think) with the help of some folks on this and the hydrangea forum. If so, do you plan to prune it into a tree form or leave it as a shrub?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:573301}}

• lsst
    15 years ago

bumblebeez, is that a mock orange behind your roses?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Thanks! In the picture that is a mohawk viburnum in front of a mock orange. However, I do have 5 peegees I have been training into trees for 8 years. I'll post a picture of them later tonight.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Well, it will be tomorrow or Monday, but I will get back to you Claudia. I'm very interested in peegees and training them into trees is specific.

• claudia_sandgrower
    15 years ago

Please do bumblebeez! I'm VERY interested in reading what you have to share about peegees. I think this little plant might have real potential - it's shown amazing resiliency so far - and I only know what little I've read about pruning them, none of it very specific. I also read your note on the other knockout thread about putting my rose in the ground... if it begins to show some signs of recovery I may do that. Hopefully it can thrive in my sandy soil... I do a lot of container gardening because of the necessity of so much soil amending and because I love the landscape/decorating aspect of beautiful and unusual containers.

SPEAKING of decorating, I'm going OT again here to ask about the photo of the beautiful pottery tray I saw in your Photobucket album! It is just absolutely gorgeous... did you make it yourself? If you bought it, do you mind sharing where you found it? I have a special interest in glass and pottery and have been looking for a similar piece... I'll include the link here so you'll know what I'm talking about (and so everyone else can admire it!).

Thanks for all the advice!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:573302}}

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Oh thank you Claudia again! I bought that locally in Seneca at The Art's Company. I love it too because it looks like a mountain landscape. But I only do painting not pottery.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Bumblebeez --- I just LOVE your garden! It's just heavenly. I'll bet you have lovely paintings from such inspiration.

Cameron

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor