Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Identification - Images Included

Posted by katthor (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 12:38

Does anyone happen to know what these plants are? I'm including pictures so it will, hopefully, be easier to identify. I have looked all over the internet and can't seem to find anything hints.

The first plant is thorny all over, leaves, stems, etc. The plant has been popping up around the yard. I have pulled out several from the lawn but I am letting one to grow so I can see what happens. I hope it isn't poisonous!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The second mystery plant has popped up around our pine trees. Seems like a vine but I don't know what kind it is. I haven't seen any bloom this year or last.

Photobucket

Last but not least, there is this little plant. It popped up last year, during the summer, and it looked like it could grow to a pretty plant so I let it grow. Unfortunately it did nothing - no flower, no berries, etc. Grew to about 2-3 feet tall and about 1-2 feet wide. It's back this year and now I'm curious as to what it might be.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm sort of a newbie to gardening in this region so many plants and weeds are a total mystery to me. I have started the habit of allowing some plants/weeds that I find to grow so I can determine what they are and if I like them. My husband thinks it's silly to allow - what he considers weeds- to grow but I have found some plants to be quite beautiful once they get the chance to bloom. I have also learned that some weeds are just that - weeds. hehe. Anyways, any help would be appreciated in identifying those plants!

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Identification - Images Included

First one is Aralia spinosa, I think. Common name is Devil's Walking Stick. It is a native plant, a tree eventually. Has a very showy flower plume and gets berries. Worth keeping a few of them.

Second is Smilax, a native thorny vine that usually grows from an underground tuber.

Not sure on the 3rd.

Since you're using photobucket, why not paste the full size picture there so we can see the details?

o

Thank you for the help! I'm having some issues trying to re-post the pictures larger though.

o

Last one looks sort of like a variety of oregano.

o

Do you remember if #3 left a woody stem or died back to the ground completely?

o

#3 looks like a legume to me, a member of the pea or clover family. Like maybe a Lespedezia or Psoralea (I may have these misspelled - heck I may have misspelled 'misspelled')

o

Ok, my guesses for #3 are:
Trefoil - Desmodium
or
Shrubby lespedeza - Lespedeza bicolor

You may not know for sure until it blooms. Whichever it is, it is considered a weed so you might want to remove it before it overtakes the yard.

o

Thanks for the help everyone. Yes #3 did die back in the winter and left a little wooden stem. I should have mentioned that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here