Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weed help please...

Posted by mad_about_mickey **7* *N.C. (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 13:46

We have a neighbor who has this weed that has spread so much now his whole front yard looks like snow. It has what from a distance appears to be dandelion seed heads. The color of the plant/weed it self is a neat green color, it has no leaves to speak of .It is not that tall. I can't get the camera to work. He had them last year and we had used a weed and feed and didn't get that much. Now they have started to pop up in our yard....Give me some idea what to look up. We used a weed and feed this spring and thought we were ok......:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weed help please...

All I can think of is clover.
It's rough when you live downwind of folks who don't care to get rid of weeds but all you can do is add many spot treatments and couple times a year full weed treatments to your list of yard chores. Sorry

o

Thanks, but no it isn't clover, the seed heads are white and airy and fluffy and light enough to float on the breeze. How often can you do a full weed treatment , are there set times?

o

Is it the one where the foliage looks like Phlox subulata? If so, that is an awful weed, but I don't know that I ever learned the name. Now when I see it, I pull it right away. There was one guy in my neighbor whose lawn was taken over and when it went to seed, it looked like snow, just like you said.

o

• Posted by jrcan z8 Charlotte, NC (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 08 at 7:55

What your neighbor has is Poa Annua or Annual Bluegrass. It is an annual that germinates in the fall and dies around May, that is why it has gone to seed. There are no selective controls for this as it is a type of grass. You can put out pre-emergent in Sept to stop the germination but be careful if you are also planning to aerate and seed as the pre-emergent will stop all grass seed from germinating.

o

No, don't think it is annual blue grass either. The seed heads actually are rounded sort of and have fluffy white seeds. Really reminds you of dandelion , sturdy plant/weed. Doesnt seem to have leaves just short whorls around a stem., then a seed head. darn camera. must get pic.

o

Could this be it

Annual Trampweed or facelis

o

That's the one I was thinking about!

Here is a link that might be useful: Facelis retusa

o

That's it ! ! Thanks for all the help ! Now I know how to prepare for next year. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here