Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

My gardening success story

deirdre_2007
13 years ago

Now nothing that I've done is exotic or new, but I'm proud of myself so I thought, I'd share with fellow gardeners who'd appreciate it. I'm telling you no matter how hard I try, I cannot find friends who are interested in gardening. As soon as I start talking, I can see their eyes glaze over and I have to force myself to change the topic of conversation. So I turn to ya'll, my virtual gardening friends for praise!!

Now, I've gardened for years, but for some reason I've always shied away from starting plants from seeds. I always thought it was too much work, or too difficult or that I needed a lot of fancy equipment etc, so I never did it. But last year, I decided it would be a great project to do with my daughters who at the time were almost 6 and almost 5. The previous fall I purchased two Jiffy greenhouses with the pellets on clearance at Wally world. Each greenhouse held 72 peat pellets and the seeds I purchased at Dollar General for 3/$1.00, so my initial investment was minimal.

My girls and I sowed Shasta Daisies, Painted Daisies, Gaillardias, Zinnias, Portulaca and Phlox. I direct sowed the Phlox, Zinnias and Portulaca and the rest we did in the peat pellets. I expected only about 20-30% of the seeds to actually germinate and flourish, but my success rate was more in the 80th percentile. So I ran out and bought a bunch of trough planters because I was not in the mood to plant them in the garden in the middle of June.

I left them there all summer and over the winter. This year, I purchased new peat pellets and my daughters and I sowed a bunch of different perennials this year. I transplanted all of last years plants into my garden this spring and I am now re-using my trough planters for this years crop. I plan to leave this years plants in the planters this year and transplant them in the spring next year. I even grew herbs, beans and tomatoes from seed this spring. Man, I'm a seed fanatic now!!!

I'd love to be able to say that this method kept me from buying any new plants this year, but I'm just not that strong!! I couldn't resist the 50% sale at Bluestone and of course I bought a few clearance plants at the big box stores. However, I will say I only purchased about 10 new plants this spring which is MUCH less than I ever have.

So my husband is thrilled with my new gardening method. It obviously saves money by starting plants from seed as opposed to buying them in the stores, even when you calculate the cost of potting mix. My girls are thrilled because they get to see the "flowers" of their labor and I'm thrilled because I have blooms in my garden.

So that's my story. Like I said, nothing exotic, nothing new, but I'm just happy that my simple little plan worked out and now I'm a "seed convert".

I hope to take some pictures and post them, but I can't promise anything because I have an infant, who as I type is "calling" out to me. (Translation, crying his little head off that he wants out of...

Comments (10)

• joydveenc7
    13 years ago

So glad you and your kids enjoy it so much. It's a great way to get through the dreary late winter. Have you seen the topics on winter sowing? I have had good luck with several perennials doing that.

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    Just had to share my "Miracle of the seeds" story. When about five an aunt gave me two sunflower seeds and a drink cup. I planted and of course expected them to be up and flowering the next day lol It did instill in me a lifetime interest in the "miracle " When my daughter was 5
    tried the same with her . When I raved about her progress.she said "Oh dad It's JUST a plant.!! lol She grew up and had kids of her own and I went to visit her she gave me a tour of her magnificent Iris garden,pointing out the delicate shapes and colors . I replied "Geee Tammy it's JUST a plant.lol" She laughed and actually remembered saying that lol. So far has not worked on the grands but two of them now have GREATS so get another shot !!! lol one grand daughter did show me a tomato that she had raised . Looked rather ordinary to me but she saw an incredible miracle lol gary

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

I wish I could pinpoint the moment that things got easier. Trust me, there were years where no matter what I did the plants suffered and died. I didn't give up and today it seems like no matter what I touch it will grow roots and bloom. Over time I got the green thumb but I don't know what I learned or where I learned it - but I know its there today.

If you think seed sowing is fun, wait until you master cutting propagated stuff!!

All of the success does nothing to curb my plant buying, I still shop like each and every purchase is essential to life.

• transplanted2scin07
    13 years ago

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Starting seeds is such a fun way to go! I love winter sowing but any which way is rewarding. I agree with John, though- propagating is as much fun and faster than starting with seeds for woody stuff.

Gary, your story was so cute! have fun indoctrinating those great grands.

• aezarien
    13 years ago

It's funny. I resonate with your description of talking to other people about gardening. I do have a few close friends that I talk to about gardening but mostly I get those glazed over looks. I guess this is sort of telling but being out there in my own little garden world does so much for me on so many levels that I have this drive to share it with everyone.

I'm not quite to the point where I am all that great at asexual propagation but just like sowing seed, I get better the more I try. And while I have changed my purchasing habits (I don't purchase more than one of anything I know I can make more of quickly) I still spend a pretty penny on plants each year. If you have ever seen that show "Hoarders" I am pretty sure if you saw the areas around my greenhouse I could be classified as a plant hoarder.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. :)

• deirdre_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have taken baby steps with propagation. I have successfully propagated a weigela and a forsythia. Of course, I had many failed attempts too, but I will keep trying. I think I'll leave the part out where successful seed sowing and propagating doesn't reduce the urge/need to purchase new plants!! My husband only tolerates all my pots (I've heard them referred to pot ghettos in this forum and mine certainly qualifies) because he thinks I'll stop having to buy new plants every year.
    Do you know what question I can't stand above all others?? It's "where are you going to put it? Hey, I don't know where I'll put it, I just know I have to have it!!! I have plenty of garden space left and plenty more areas that can use some color.

BTW, my black-eyed susans are blooming to beat the band right now, and I'm just thrilled. Although on a down note, I saw my first JB this morning. It was on my petunia!! Never seen them there before. I can sacrifice some of them because I literally have about 100 of them that self-sowed themselves. If that's all I lose to these horrible insects, then I'll consider myself lucky.

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

I have long used a saying from Thomas Jefferson as my 'mojo' for life "He who plants a seed believes in tomorrow" Watching a tiny seed that you put into the ground or pot and seeing it grow to a beautiful plant is magical and to share that with a child is even more so. I am a diehard WSower and love to propagate from cuttings. I think the reason most of us are here on this forum is because we all share that same love for gardening and love to share our stories - success or failure ......

Lynne

• pippi21
    13 years ago

deirde2007..check your emails. Just sent you one.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting that wonderful story!