Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
transplanted2scin07

Please identify this Pine Tree

Here's a photo of a Pine taken today at Paris Mountain State Park.

{{gwi:574134}}

There are many of these trees there. The gorgeous bark has large plates, the needles are about 2 inches long and the tree gets very tall. Unfortunately, I could not tell from the ground how many needles were in a cluster. I hope these clues are enough for someone to identify this tree as I'd love to buy a few of these.

Thanks,

Sandi

Comments (14)

• lsst
    15 years ago

Paris Mountain has a lot of Loblolly pines. The bark looks like a Loblolly to me.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I vote Loblolly as well, I have one on the back of my property that is very tall.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

I vote Loblolly too.

• transplanted2scin07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, who can argue with 3 votes in favor? Thanks! Now I just have to find a source...

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

The seedlings are everywhere around here. I'm sure you can find one in your yard if you look hard enough :)

• myrmecodia
    15 years ago

If the needles were really only 2 inches long, that would rule out Loblolly pine, wouldn't it? Pinus taeda should have needles >5 inches long.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I agree it is probably not loblolly with that size needles. I have tried, btw, to transplant pines in my yard - several different sizes. None of them have made it.

In Georgia, you can buy all kinds of pine trees very cheaply from the Forestry Service. You have to buy in bundles of 50. SC Forestry Service has a similar reforestation program. What a nice selection they have (they do have a couple of non-natives, steer clear of those). Looks like you can get them in bundles of 10 for $6-7.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's their link

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Sandi, here are a couple of pictures of loblolly pines in my yard. Were the needles shorter than this?

{{gwi:574132}}

{{gwi:574133}}

• transplanted2scin07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, I think they were shorter. I looked on the web last night after reading on GW that it may be Lobolly and found other possibilities. I thought it may be Ponderosa until I discovered they grow primarily in the north west. Then I wondered if it was Pinus echinata, the Short Leaf Pine. The bark certainly looks similar and the bark is why I liked it so much. Since I'm also trying get my hands on Long Leaf Pine, I guess the next step will be a search for the SC Forestry Service. Thanks again for the help!
    Sandi

Here is a link that might be useful: Short Leaf Pine

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

SC Forestry does in fact sell Long Leaf. My favorite of the pines!! :-) I plan to buy quite a few this year myself. They are simply beautiful!! I now have Loblolly, White, Yellow and some Long Leaf on my land. I want more of the Long Leaf though.

• dellare
    15 years ago

Long Leaf pine are my favorite I think. In the cool, spring sunshine they glisten. Adele

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

Yeah the bark of Shortleaf Pine is my favorite. Their bark in my opinion is more divided and blocky than Loblollies. I like looking at large lone trees. They look like gigantic bonsai's.

• transplanted2scin07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the SC Forestry website (below). I guess they are not taking any new seedling orders until later in the season.
    A catalog in pdf format can be seen at this site. They have deciduous trees, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: SC Forestry Seedlings

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Right Transplanted2SC, it will be later on before they take orders. I am planning to order some things from them. Now you know where to find a good price on beautiful Long Leaf Pine! :-)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area