Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodsworm

who gave me the orchids at High Point swap?

woodsworm
15 years ago

Loved everything at the swap.

Who gave me the orchids? I was a greedy pig and took two. they are identical.

I have not grown orchids before and prefer to do it right, so I need to know what kind they are, please. thank you again.

Comments (6)

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Woods, Vickie brought those, but several us got them from lazygardener-nc that came to one of our plant swaps. It's a Tropical Lady's Slipper. I just keep them out of direct sun, but they seem to like bright light. They're not hardy, but mine did fine in a cold (above freezing) greenhouse last winter and they spend their summers on a north facing porch. They did ok in the house too under a shop light in a cool room. They never die back or go dormant but come spring they have their beautiful bloom. I give them a good soaking about once a week in summer (more when it's really hot) and less in the winter. They do like to be kept moist but not soggy which is why they're in orchid bark. I water mine most of the time with fish tank water but they seem to do fine with rain or tap water as well. Try to not get water into their leaves as I've read that can melt them pretty fast, but I have set those out in the rain before in the summer and they did fine. In the cool or cold weather if I happen to get water into the leaves where it won't drain I usually take a piece of tissue corner and dab it up. Others that have them have told me they have already bloomed out for them this year, but I have one in bloom now.

I was pretty nervous about these when I first got them (my first orchids),... just knew I was going to kill them, but they've turned out to be pretty easy and I've never had a bug or disease problem with them.

I can't find the pic I have of the blooms but here's a pic of them at our swap.
    {{gwi:574141}}

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Root gave me 2 and john 2, which i'm still babysitting, and 3 of the 4 bloomed (2 are still going strong) and they all came through my freeze that went down to 25 ok. One looked not as good as the others, and it was that one that didn't bloom, but they are easy care for sure. After reading about the water issues, i may try to be more careful, 'cause i have noticed browning spots on some, and that may be the reason. duh.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

ok, I see a swap I will be attending next year!! I need some more gourds for bird houses.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

OH BOY would I love some of those or some that are reliably hardy. Let's set up a special trade for Spring OK? Here's my list if anyone on this thread has something to trade. Robin in Lewisville NC

Here is a link that might be useful: trade list

• tamelask
    15 years ago

those were tropical lady slippers- not hardy in our area at all. They are houseplants. Different genus than our hardies.

• woodsworm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I am treating mine as houseplants. They look pretty happy now at a south window, with light filtered by other plants. Both bloomed very handsomely this fall.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz