Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyflora

What's eating my Geranium 'Rozanne' blossoms?

amyflora
15 years ago

One of my planted 'Rozanne's hadn't been flowering nearly as much as it's sister, so I thought I might need to do some deadheading or shearing back. Dang it if some little bug isn't doing deadheading before the little heads can even open!! The buds have a little hole in the side, and all the insides are eaten away. This makes me so sad. I so want this plant to flourish. I had 'Johnson's Blue' about 8 years ago, and it was so happy, but have a hard time finding it now, since there are so many "new, better" blue geraniums. Johnson's seemed so nice and tough. Anybody have a bug id, or an idea of how to treat it? I couldn't find the actual bug to photograph or even describe--sorry! Thanks in advance, oh wise ones!

Comments (13)

• Claire Pickett
    15 years ago

I just bought a Rozanne Cranebill geranium from Lowes on sale. Then, perusing a deer resistant list, I was happy to see it was on it. That's all I know.

claire in sanford

• amyflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Claire!! That was where I got mine (don't tell BB's -hahahaha). They were gorgeous and huge. I can't believe I have stumped the gardenwebbers. Maybe research is still being conducted! Hope so!

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Sounds like a rose weevil, maybe. Check out the picture below and see if it looks familiar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Weevil

• amyflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm. The holes in the sides of the buds are bigger than those on that rose pic. But since I have never seen the actual varmint, it could be the rose weevil. Weevils are evil!

• DYH
    15 years ago

I have planted Rozanne in the outer garden to test/tempt the deer. They browsed a few Japanese iris blooms last night, but ignored the blooming Rozanne. My Rozanne is a bit leggy from being in a nursery flat, but I just can't bear to cut it back yet since it's new to my garden.

Don't know what's eating your Rozanne.

Cameron

{{gwi:230993}}

P.S. If you want a BLUE geranium, try 'Brookside'. Mine came from Bluestone last year. The color perfectly matches my platycoden (look carefully in the lower right of the photo):

{{gwi:230996}}

• laurabs
    15 years ago

Johnson's Blue can be found on line, I see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnson's Blue geranium

• amyflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Laura, but $21.95 is a bit high for me to pay for mail order plants. And that is just the plant, god knows what postage would add! Yikes! I may try the 'Brookside' though. Thanks everyone!

• laurabs
    15 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, something is eating the wine cups I just put in. More the foliage than the flowers, though. I'm not sure if it's him or not, but I'm going to have a word with the bunny just in case.

• Claire Pickett
    15 years ago

Holes in the sides of rose buds usually mean thrips. Could it be that?

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Cameron, I get so discouraged when I read your deer-resistant test posts. My deer would gobble up 'Rozanne' in a heartbeat if I didn't spray it. Actually, all the hardy geraniums, except for G. macrorrhizum, are on their favorites list. Can we swap deer? LOL!

• amyflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Claire, it might be thrips. But I deadheaded the old buds and squished them, and now the new buds are making it. I still never saw the little buggies, which makes me think thrips (aren't they the little ones?) Or are they the cinch bugs? Which are the ones with the pincers on their tail ends? Hate those. Ugh! When I cut roses to bring in this spring, and they fell out onto the counter, yucky!!!! And they damage my babies, too! Double yuck.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Spazzycat...I'm sorry to hear that. It is true that different herds eat different plants based upon the female leader of the herd.

I just planted these Rozannes outside the fence last month (as a test). So far, they've ignored them (knock on wood). The Rozannes are planted underneath our weeping willow tree so maybe they can't see/smell them from the meadow above the slope. The Brookside are inside my fence.

Cameron

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Amy i think what you're thinking of are earwings (they have the 'pincers' that don't actually pinch). I don't think those are the same as thrips. I'm not very squeamish but they give me the willies, too. Something about the way they move.