Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

PeeGees for Claudia Sandgrower

Here are the pictures of my peegees. I have five that I am training into trees. Very slow going. When I first planted them, I put an 8' stake next to each one. Then each year I tie up branches so they go up and not down. Otherwise they will just fall over to the ground. The branches have to stay tied up until they become trunks. I keep each tree trimmed to one or two main trunks.

They would be straighter if I had been more diligent the first few years with my tying up and trimming back. Each spring I remove all new growth that I don't want all over the trunks and base. I might do this once or twice more in the season.

Branches that grow straight up I will keep and cut off everything else. I don't prune the top at all but I do cut a lot of flowers in the fall for arrangements.

These are the standard species hydrangea paniculata. I also have limelights, tardiva, and a ruby that I don't recall the name of. I have the tardiva in a multi branched tree form and the others as bushy shrubs in groupings of three.

I think I should have just bought a grafted peegee tree form but I was clueless back theen.

{{gwi:574232}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia