Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone ID this flower?

Posted by LMA84 none (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 15:22

Hello!

I moved to upstate South Carolina last July and am still finding new surprises growing on my property. Just noticed these flowers blooming today. Can anyone ID them for me?

This post was edited by LMA84 on Thu, May 23, 13 at 15:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone ID this flower?

This is the plant. It rained pretty hard last night. I am not sure if that is why the flower is drooping down the way it is.

o

This is what the buds look like.

o

peony

o

There are two common types of peony, one is the garden peony and one is the tree peony (crazy name, it is not a tree). This one is the garden peony. It looks like mine which is Peony 'Sarah Burnhardt'.

o

There's rain aplenty in that blossom. That's why it is hungover. Shake it out gently and weave it back to be supported by the other foliage or just cut in for the vase.
This droopy bloom after rain is a common tendency for many heavy blossomed flowers like peonies and fancy roses.
With the peonies, there is a cage with a slot top you can put in next year before the foliage starts growing. The mesh/slot top needs to be almost as high as that blossom
is. The buds will grow up through and be supported by the mesh/slots.

Don't be alarmed to see ants crawling all over the unopened buds..there's some symbiosis going on that is
normal.

o

Thank you all so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here