Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of Snake is this.... but don't tell Loving Wife

Posted by computergardener z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 15:31

Taking advantage of the recent rain, I was pulling a few large clumps of grass which were migrating into my vegetable garden. Since I compost, I get pretty huge worms occasionally and when I saw the body of this creature I thought it might be a worm and then I realize .... Not a worm.

The snake was very calm, I looked at him for a few minutes before putting him down in my natural area. After grabbing my camera and heading back out 3-4 minutes later, I was surprised to see he stuck around to let me get a photo. He let me snap a few and then I let him go his/her way.

Can anyone tell me what kind of snake this is? If you can not tell from the photos I would say it was 7-8" long. I need to know so I can decide whether to share my sighting with my lovely wife. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Headshot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of Snake is this.... but don't tell Loving Wife

Was his belly a pinkish tan? He looks like a wormsnake to me, but it's a little hard to tell from that shot. They do look like oversized earthworms and tend to be fairly calm snakes, rather shy, actually. They are an indication you have great soil (lots of humus & worms), and are completely harmless. Do tell your wife.

o

I don't have a shot of the belly but here is another photo. Thanks for the compliment on the soil, it is something I work at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Side shot

o

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/pages/smoothearth.htm
Looks like this guy - had one in my garden last week.

o

Cute little booger. Not sure from the photo but it doesn't appear to be venomous. Here is a link that displays a nice list with photos.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/sprsnakes.php

o

http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/snakes/snakes.html

This is the site I like. I get worm snakes in my soil too, but mine are quick and thrash around when we try to pick them up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm snake multiple pics

o

They're funny- they are calm til you try to handle them. Then, if you curl your hands up so they form a ball in the dark they'll calm right back down again. They have a distinctive extra sharp looking pointed tail, and very narrow, small head. Your head doesn't look quite right- it may be the earth snake after all.

o

Its either a worm snake or an earth snake. Based on the side shot, I think its a worm snake.

o

Cute little guy. I always find them fun! They may scare me if they ever pop out of nowhere, but they add a great mystery to the garden landscape.

o

I used to think worm snakes were baby Red-Belly Water Snakes. There's an actual Red-Belly Water Snake living in one of my beds on the west side of my house, and I found another one, or the same one, hiding under the coils of hose near the well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here