Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

May flowers 2

trianglejohn
10 years ago

Here's a shot of a cactus that I bought last year at that place in Sanford (Hi Adele and Amy!!! this is your baby I was talking about). The little one in front is a new one I bought this year since they evidently do so well here. Its a hybrid. They grow fast and stop traffic when in bloom. The small prickly pear behind it came from the swap a few years ago (thanks again Mike! its one of my all time favorite plants).

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful pic! I love cactus!

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    10 years ago

John, could you please elaborate on what hybrid this cactus is? Does it need winter protection? It resembles Ferocactus wislizenii, which I have on my To Do list because some sources list it as Zone 7 plant - has anyone tried it here?

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try to see if the tag is still around. I know it didn't have a species name, just genus and 'hybrid'. I did put a bucket over it once or twice during the winter, when the night time lows were in the mid twenties. Other than that it was exposed to the weather. It is on the windy side of my cactus garden so I was surprised it did so well, even some of the hardy opuntia cactus had wind burn spots on their pads. It is now finished blooming and doesn't look like it is going to make any fruit. Some of the newer (smaller) ones now have flower buds, I can't wait to see what color they bloom.

• nannerbelle
    10 years ago

That is very pretty!! Those Cacti in the back of the picture look very similar to some wild ones I have here. I'm thinking of digging up some of these to take to the new house, I don't have any of them there. Kinda weird I guess, that they would be native here and not be about 30 miles further south.

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see them often in people's gardens around Raleigh. No one has ever said what their name is. I don't remember if this one had a tag when it showed up at the plant swap. It is starting to open up flowers, it will be stunning in a week when the whole mound is in bloom.

• nannerbelle
    10 years ago

Oh they are! The wild ones here are kinda spotted in little clumps thru out the woods. They have beautiful yellow flowers all over them! I will see if I can find a pic of the ones here, and post for you. I'd love to know what they are. I remember as a child my Grandmother brought one home from this area of SC for her garden, she was from the Bennetsville SC area. She loved that cactus but I don't remember it ever blooming in Belmont. Mine aren't blooming yet here, this lingering cold seemed to delay them.

• User
    10 years ago

Nannerbelle,
    That wild yellow cactus is all over my woods. They are gorgeous, no wonder your grandma loved it! Yes, bring it with you, I would. You will miss it if you don't.
    {{gwi:574369}}

• nannerbelle
    10 years ago

I've got several nice clusters of it marked to bring to the new place. I love it too! I loved my hubby's comment, he said, "I've never seen a Cactus flower before, no wonder they talk about them so much." They are truly beautiful!

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    10 years ago

The nameless low-growing cacti with yellow flowers appear to be Opuntia humifusa (syn: Opuntia compressa). They are native to wide areas of eastern North America from Florida to Massachusetts and Southern Ontario and west to New Mexico and Montana.

• trianglejohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the way mine lays flat on the ground during the winter and then fluffs back up once Spring arrives.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner