Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'pinching' azaleas

Posted by benflower NC7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 16:40

Does anyone "pinch" off the azalea blossoms after they have died? I remember one lady who I bought them from telling me to take the whole "cluster" off, down to the wood to make more blooms next year. Mine have finished blooming and are putting out new leaves.

Should I leave them alone or try the pinching method? It appears that if I do that I will be cutting off all the new growth.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'pinching' azaleas

A lot of them are self grooming if you are patient- they eject the dead blossoms within a week or 2. The proper time to prune azaleas and many spring bloomers is shortly after they bloom since they set their flowers for the next yr's show on wood starting about midsummer. If it's scraggly and you're wanting to make it busier pinching would probably help. If it's too big and you want to scale it back in size, now's the time to take it back. If you're happy with the size and fullness, just let it be, unless the dead flowers bother you. Some varieties don't do as good a job of self grooming and may need some help. A rake over the surface is normally all it takes.

o
RE: 'pinching' azaleas

thanks tamelask-- I think I'll just leave them be. Which I think is what most plants like anyway, as long as they are fed and watered. LOL)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here