Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudia_sandgrower

Tell me a little about Caladiums, please!

claudia_sandgrower
14 years ago

Hello all! I'm trying my hand at Caladiums for the first time... "White Christmas" in a container on my front porch. I love these and am wondering if I can leave them in the container over winter or if I can dig them up and keep them in my garage over winter and replant next spring? I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I like to be prepared...

And one general interest note: If anyone here browses the Container Gardening forum, I'm spreading the word that Al/Tapla - one of the very most knowledgeable gardeners on that forum - was banned by GW for some unknown reason. From what I read from someone who has been in email contact with him, he's not aware of any violations and is attempting to get in touch with the GW administators to straighten it out. Just wanted to let you know that if any of you have taken advantage of Al's vast store of knowledge, hopefully he'll be back soon!

Comments (6)

• zigzag
    14 years ago

As I understand it, caladiums won't overwinter outdoors, so digging the bulbs and storing them is an option. That said, my DIL had caladiums in Earthboxes and they came back a second year - guess it depends on the container and location of the container.

I'm trying them from bulbs this year (a bag of 9 for $7 - cost effective and easier than digging and storing, imo). Put mine in just a week ago, no sprouts yet, but DIL put hers in two weeks ago and has sprouts just coming up.

• claudia_sandgrower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will likely dig and store... these are gorgeous and I'd hate to only have 'em a year!

Definitely more economical to start from bulbs... but I saw these in 6" pots and fell off the wagon (again)! :-\ Each pot had several sprouts, so at $15 for 3 pots I didn't do TOO bad, esp. if I can get them to grow again next year! ;-)

Thanks for the info, zigzag!

• gusolie
    14 years ago

Warm that soil up to hasten the sprouting of caladium tubers!!!! THen keep soil moist and occasional liquid feed, but you don't want it to grow too fast and leggy (the long leaf stems can more easily flop in rain and wind then).

They're not fully hardy outdoors at all anywhere in the Carolinas, not even in Hilton Head or CHarleston--they really won't tolerate wet and cold soils, especially clay, in winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Christmas Caladium

• claudia_sandgrower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks - great link! And thanks for the advice... in for the winter they come!

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

In my yard, caladiums work best if allowed to start to die back (yellowing of leaves), then I pull the pots and lay them over on their sides up on the porch out of the sun or in a dark corner of the tool shed. After they have completely died back and dried out I dig the bulbs out of the media. This way I can check the bulbs for any problems, throw away the bad ones, dust them with fungicide if you want, store them for the winter inside the house but in the dark. The bulbs get a lot bigger over the years and make better plants for the garden that way.

I don't do any of the eye removal, center scooping or stem plucking that some experts talk about (all to make a sturdier plant) - I just sprout them inside where it is warm, usually in shallow trays of potting soil with just the bulbs sitting on top of the soil. After they have sprouted I plant them in the garden, most often in pots sunk in the ground.

• claudia_sandgrower
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the step by step info, john... tells me exactly what I need to know! I wouldn't have ever thought of the drying-out process. The only bulbs I have much experience with are Amaryllis and I don't do anything at all with them... they must thrive on neglect because they come back in droves every year.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!