Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Shade Edibles?

rootdiggernc
15 years ago

What kind of shade edibles have you tried that do well?

Comments (5)

• aezarien
    15 years ago

That depends on how much shade we are talking about. I have almost an entire herb garden where half gets only morning sun and the other half gets some afternoon sun. Most of those plants are supposed to thrive in full sun but grow beautifully where they are at. The only two things I have noted is that the sage grows taller and some things don't spread as fast or as much.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anything from morning sun to late day sun and also dappled/filtered shade. I've grown dill in about 4 hours of afternoon sun, same with parsley and a few other herbs, but have never tried any other fruits or veggies. I believe that alpine strawberries can take some shade? Blueberries are doing fine with just morning sun. What else?

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I don't have anywhere onmy prop that gets more than 6 hours of sun, and everything's done well, much of it on less. Alpines do well in just 4 hours or less sun. I love them- great border plant. Wild strawberries do well, too, but they run and that can be a nuisance. Schizandron is a shade preferring fruit bearer- though mine still hasn't set any. I've had blooms for 3 years, but no berries. It's the 'eastern prince', which is supposed to be self fertile. Next year i'll hand pollinate and see if that helps. They do bloom very early. Wineberries do really well with just a few hour's sun. Salmonberries and thimbleberries can take shade, but i don't know if you can get the thimbles to fruit- they need high elevations. They make really pretty suckering nonthorny bushes, though. Evergreen huckleberries are supposed to do fine- mine's still small, but is hanging in there. Salal and red huckleberry are said to be ok for shade, too, but both of those died for me. Lowbush blues do fine, as do the native wild blues in the shade. Teaberry. You can try lingonberries- another on i've not had great luck with, but worth a shot. Cornus Mas, and some other cornus have edible berries, and can handle some shade. Native persimmons can deal with some shade. Even my asian only gets about 5 hours sunlight and sets bumper crops. My native mulberries are fruiting,, even though one only gets maybe 2 hours of direct morning sun. Pawpaws. The arctic kiwis are said to fruit well in part shade, and color better that way. Gooseberries and currents appreciate some shade in our climes (i know, they're only quasi legal). Honeyberry, though i've heard the fruit isn't that great now they've been in the trade for a while. Juneberry and aronia, once they get established, which takes longer in shade. Bamboo, for the shoots. Hazelnuts, and their relatives, chinquapin, trazels, etc. I know there are some more things... my brain's shutting down. I'd cross reference Edible Landscaping, Raintree, One Green World and Burnt Ridge. They are all great sources for edible landscaping stuffand i know that Ed land for instance has a list of shade tolerant edibles.

As to veggies- almost all the greens can be grown in part shade (spinach, lettuce, mustard, etc). Parsley, dill, cilantro, sorrel, chamomile, some thymes, fennel, cabbage & other coles do ok. Most anything that sets fruit &/or fruit like veggies needs at least 4 hours sun to do much of anything, in my experience. Have fun with it!

• aezarien
    15 years ago

I didn't even think about my strawberries but they (garden, red lipstick)do well in the shade too.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I started some Strawberries from seed this year and they are growing very fast! this type is more ornamental in that the leaves are a kinda golden yellow. I don't remember the name, could be something like 'Golden Alexander'. Not sure about the fruiting aspects but the golden foliage will look sharp in the shade.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting