Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

Somebody stop me . . .

deirdre_2007
14 years ago

Yikes. I need to stay away from all nurseries, big box stores, online sites and catalogs.

I told myself I was only going to buy my tree peonies this year because I wanted to make sure that I was able to dedicate myself to their care. My mom came to visit and bought me some Gaura, a Clematis and a Mandevilla. My sister came to visit and we sowed two packets each of: Portulaca, Coreopsis, Phlox and Shasta Daisies. My youngest daughter and I did two packets of Painted Daisies, Lavender and Dhalias.

I couldn't pass up the Loropetalums on sale at Lowes because I've been in love with them for a few years. Then I saw them even cheaper at Roses in Zebulon, so I bought 4 more there. I bought 4 Azaleas at Walmart for 2.50 a pop and just tonight I was in Lowes to buy parts for our BBQ and they had hanging baskets on clearance and Lantana on clearance.

I'm happy to say that everything is already in the ground except for the peonies, they go tomorrow. But yikes, so much for not buying any plants this year!!!

Definitely a sickness!! I hope they never find a cure.

Comments (10)

• zigzag
    14 years ago

I don't think you're going to get an 'intervention' from anybody here, deidre ..... we're all infected too!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I bought plenty of those $2.50 azaleas..hard to beat that. They had them at Lowes too.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

I give you a lot of credit for getting those plants right into the ground. I'm guilty of have a half dozen shrubs/perennials and trees, still in pots and merrily growing with one or two big roots escaped into the ground.

• aezarien
    14 years ago

heh... Yeah I am guilty of having tons in the pot as well. Last year was the definition of crazy as far as the amount of plants I grew, purchased, and acquired through swaps and friends. I came real close to working my self to death last year which was as good as an intervention for me. I bought a few roots on sale at walmart and a few packs of seeds to go directly in the ground (which I haven't had time to plant yet lol)but my main focus will be getting everything from last year in the ground and taking care of what I have.

• DYH
    14 years ago

I think we're all enablers.

Cameron

• empresaria
    14 years ago

Got the same problem here! I found myself buying sunflower and pumpkin seeds today! Not to mention an elephant ear at the farmer's market that I have no idea where to put... It will be fine. You'll run out of room eventually! Hehehe

• mikelsmisha
    14 years ago

I believe you can receive some therapy at the PDN open house. Or not, hehehe.

It's still going on next weekend for die-hard addicts, enthusiests, and all others down to the just curious.

It beats gambling; at least you get something you can enjoy for years to come!

• MagickMare
    14 years ago

Mikelsmisha - I par took in the PDN therapy last Saturday and was sooo proud - I left with only ONE plant - Lantana Southern Fried!! I fell in love with it's molted leaves and bright orange flowers :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Fried

• mikelsmisha
    14 years ago

What?!!! Only one? I predict he's going to be pretty lonely. You could get him some friends next weekend if you start feeling guilty, hehehehe!

I don't know how to post it, but I have a nice shot of Canna glauca 'Panache' that my friend (professional photographer) shot. He was in his hot tub this morning and noticed that the buds had burst open. He caught the flowers with the light coming through the petals. Very pretty.

• deirdre_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, went to Lowes to get the hose reel that was on sale and couldn't find the thing at any store. I went to five before finally a manager just gave me a substitution.

During my quest I bought:

A really beautiful wind chime on clearance (2.57 for a large one!)

Four quart size Achilleas for a buck each!
    Two Oenotheras on clearance and two hanging baskets full of dianthus for only 2.49 each. The baskets were worth that alone. Oh, and then I needed some shepherds hooks for the baskets and I went to Roses and bought them and 2 Caladiums and 4 Tuberous Begonias.

The primrose is in the ground, but due to the rain everything else are still in their pots. Hope I get them in before my Mahonias that I ordered arrive, aquifolium, not Belei, don't worry!!

I am so double done with any more plants this year. I hope the rain keeps up!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting