Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perilla Magilla Invasive?

Posted by nberg7 z7NC (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 20:20

DH bought two one gallon pots of this for me on the Lowes clearance cart yesterday- how invasive is this plant if I sink them into the ground? Also- any info about propagating/overwintering would be very welcome too. TIA,
Nan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perilla Magilla Invasive?

well lets see - it you DON'T dead head it - you will have literally thousands next year - good thing is they are easily pulled up where you don't want them. If you do dead head them completely you won't have any next year - the plant itself is an annual. I let a few go to seed each year and move them to where I want them - they transplant easily. I do like them in the garden - just not thousands like I had a couple of years ago :):)....

Lynne

o

Thanks Lynne! I had read this is a member of the mint family, hence my apprehension. I do see them shooting up some stalks right now, so out with the clippers ala Edward Scissorshands.
-Nan

o

You're kidding right?
My P/M never even flowered last year, grew to nearly 3'x3' and died rather ungracefully after the third frost same as all my coleus.
Invasive spread like mint? Thousands of seedlings?
I only wish it would. What am I doing wrong??

o

I might be mistaken, but isn't Perilla Magilla is a hybrid and will not reseed? Now..Perilla frutescens (the purple foliage one) is a different story. It's the gift that keeps on giving. < s >

o

Yep, it's frutescens that reseeds, and it's spreading in my garden as well. I had to take cuttings and root to overwinter my magilla. Montrose is littered with volunteer frutescens and oriental poppies but it doesn't seem to get out of hand - I'm just going to let 'em spread. They're easy to pull where unwanted. Nice foliage scent too.

o

i've never heard of magilla spreading or reseeding either one, or even flowering. i overwinter it from cuttings. frutescens can easily get out of hand. i love it, so i always leave a little, but i have to weed out thousands of seedlings each year. i save a few just to use in arrangements- it's stunning with orange flowers, and a real winner with white fragrant nicotiana and some sweet potato 'marguarita' cuttings. sometimes it'll root in the vase, along with marguarita. makes a nice display for an outdoor table as long as you change the water every few days to prevent skeeters. tam

o

ooppps sorry guys/gals - thanks for chiming in and correcting me :) - I just saw the word perilla and thought immediatley of the one that looks like coleus. That is the one I have in my gardens. Guess I should bone up of cultivars a little more. I had no idea there were a couple of different cultivars - Didn't mean to lead anyone astray :).....

Lynne

o

I had to look up pictures of both...I have frutescens although the sites I visited said you could use it like basil but I don't think the scent or taste is any good.

I think the appearance of the Magilla is awesome and I may have to add a few of these somewhere. Just gorgeous!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Magilla Perilla

o

WOW Granite - thanks for that link - that is a gorgeous plant - not at all like mine which is a ruffely purple plant - pretty but not as pretty as that. Ya learn something new everyday :):).....

Lynne

o

I think what I have is Perilla Magilla Vanilla- the green variety that looks like coleus. I'll try rooting it in water to save it for next year and not worry too much about it spreading like mint. My DH has been perusing the Lowes sales carts for me every time he shops there, and this was one of the bargains. My next question is can I overwinter Indigo Spires Salvia? Any experiences with it? DH bought 8 of these today in quart sized pots.
-Nan

o

Nan, I lucked up and got a large pot of Indigo Spires at Lowes last year for 3.50. It had a May Night marker in it. I planted it in June I think and it overwintered this year but it was a mild winter. Just follow the general rules for salvias- good drainage and don't cut it back in winter.

o

Thanks for that tip Shari! I was hoping I might be able to save them. DH bought 8 of them in quart pots for a dollar each. I absolutely love the bargains at this time of the year. :-)
Nan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here