Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Kleim's Hardy Gardenia

Posted by grassboro NC 7b (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 20:28

I have a large Kleims Hardy Gardenia that has grown over the years to at least 5 & half feet wide and 3 & half feet tall. I made the mistake of never pruning it and now need to prune it back or move it. It has done very well where it is at so I would like to keep it there, but I am redoing the bed it is in and it will be too wide. Can I prune it back kind of hard? The height is not a problem, it is the width. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Kleim's Hardy Gardenia

I've never had a problem with giving them a trim this time of year. Your only issue may be that trimming may cause them to flush with new growth, which you will have to trim again.

o

The 'Kleim's Hardy' gardenia certainly has the fine fragrance of gardenia, but don't you think its flowers are pitifully ugly? I recommend that you pull the plant up and throw it onto the compost heap. Then, replace it with a 'Chuck Hayes' or 'August Beauty' gardenia that will reward you with both the pleasing perfume of this species as well as tradtional, beautiful double blossoms.

o

That is true about trimming and stimulating new growth. What I may try is to totally remove some of the side branches. I will also have to think about moving this plant. Replacing with "Chuck Hayes" is also a good thought. Thanks for the feedback.

o

I have been forced, due to heavy snow having bent them to the ground, to prune my klein's hardy gardenias by half on some years. Ideally I would suggest trimming 1/3 of the branches by as much as half or more each year (think of thinning it out) so that after three years you have a much smaller bush.
If you are actually considering replacing it, what do you have to lose by pruning it very hard and see what comes of it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here