Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbcand_gw

Why are my RED Knockout roses turning Pink, then almost white?

sbcand
14 years ago

I bought 4 double red knockout roses last fall and planted them. They kept blooming red up until November. They just recently started blooming again but it seems the roses are only staying red for about 3 days then they start to turn pink. Within a week or so it seems they're almost white. What do I need in my soil to keep them red?

Comments (7)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

I wonder if there's a specific rose forum here that would have your answer?

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Doesn't sound like a reversion of color based upon rootstock or sports. Wonder if it's something to do with soil nutrients?

• gaylek
    14 years ago

I have a pink Knockout that will have a deep pink/red bloom on it on a stem. I was wondering if it was going to revert back to the 'red' bush also. Have thought about trying to cut out that stem. But this year I notice another red on the other side of the bush.
    Hope someone will come along with suggestions. I love the light pink!

• sbcand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I noticed last night that the roses that had turned pink are now just about totally white. These are suppose to be red. I'm sure I'm missing some kind of nutrient in the soil. We have alot of sand in our yard so when we planted them last fall we amended the soil. Now we have lots of hardwood mulch around them. How do I get more nutrients down in the soil without having to dig them back up? This is very frustrating to see my RED roses turning white.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

sbcand, go into the rose forum and describe exactly what is happening and your soil conditions. Roses thrive in red clay soils and it may have something to do with iron content which is lacking in the really sandy soils. But there are other nutrients and conditions that might be preventing the uptake of key nutrients by your rose.
    The specific rose forums may have a quick answer for you.

• User
    13 years ago

Sbcand,
    Roses thrive in neutral soil.
    If the soil is sandy, there is a great chance your soil is too acidic for the rose.
    One half cup of lime at the initial planting of the rose would have taken care of the acidic part of the soil.
    Every spring, I add 1/2 cup of lime to the top of the soil around my roses with my compost.
    I bought a double knock out rose this spring.
    I added the lime, I have no problems with it.
    I love that rose bush, it is care free.
    If the soil PH isn't correct for any bush, it will be unable to absorb nutrients from the soil.
    You could try adding 1/2 cup of FAST acting lime around the top of the soil of the rose and watering real good.
    They sell PH meters inexpensively at Big Home center plant departments, like HD, you could test it yourself, before adding the lime.
    My soil is awefully sandy, so one of my roses I actually dug out a hughe hole and placed Miracle Grow Rose Garden soil in (big bag), and planted it in that (Pope John Paul II white rose), and now I don't have to worry about PH at all because the garden soil, (not potting soil), is neutral for roses.
    GOod Luck!