Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on digging up plants and replanting

Posted by grassboro 7B (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 20:35

I started a new perennial garden this year. I have clay so I planted in good size amended holes (soil conditioner, topsoil, compost, etc.) about 6 plus weeks ago. We have had a very wet spring thus far and after looking at the plantings I am realizing that some of the plants were not planted high enough. I am considering digging up some of the plants (cone flowers, Walkers Low catmint, etc.) and replanting in a higher mound. My Walkers Low has bloomed but the foliage has now turned mostly yellow. Some of my early blooming cone flowers (prairie splendor) have started to bloom or are putting out buds but the stems are curled down. The plants that look bad are all planted too low compared to the others that are in higher mounds and seem to be doing well. Any thoughts on digging plants up now and replanting in a higher mound. I am new to this so any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on digging up plants and replanting

My coneflowers curl downwards as they grow up but face up while in bloom so I wouldn't worry about them.

The yellow leaves on the catmint is a sign of root damage, more than likely too much water so rise it up first.

If your original soil doesn't drain well you should always plant on top of it and build mounds of good soil around the plants (sort of a raised bed without walls). If the area has some slope to it you can also dig little trenches to drain the bowls of clay under the plants. Sitting in water is bad for most plants.

If its been as wet as you say these guys have probably not grown a lot of roots so go ahead and dig them up. Keep in mind that the roots will eventually be longer than they were in the pot so you want to really mound them up high. Also keep in mind that both cone flowers and catmint don't need extra rich soil, just normal garden soil will do. Some of them bloom better in poor soil.

o
RE: Advice on digging up plants and replanting

I would say you have two choices.
1. Leave them in the holes filled with water and watch them die a slow death.
2. Replant them higher and give them a fighting chance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here