Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID- plant swap mystery

Posted by dogridge 7b nc (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 21:27

the plant I brought labeled ?violet has bloomed. it is really pretty bell shaped pink flower.

the foliage is serrated, about 30" tall in part shade.
The bells are about 2" long.

Any ideas what it is?

IMG_2365

IMG_2363

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID- plant swap mystery

I 'll bet it came second hand from me. It's campanula punctacta 'cherry bells'; great plant- but do be careful where you put it b/c it spreads pretty well. I have it in several areas, and have brought it to the swap several times. the person probably thought it was a violet b/c of the foliage. In shade it won't bloom as well but the foliage is semi-evergreen and pretty (and does look a lot like violets).

o

I'm not sure, but I think it's some type of campanula. I have a plant that is similar except the flower is white with burgundy specks inside the bell. Nice plant!!

o

tamelask-

I bet is was from you. i got it last yr. I brought more to the swap this yr, but it had never bloomed, so I wasn't sure what it was. Whoever got the pots I brought this yr, now you know what it is.

o
another question

One more question-

Will it tolerate full sun?

o

Yep, or close to it anyhow. I don't have much full full sun. Do a Google, but pretty sure it will. It does have wine speckles inside. If it's white with wine speckles, it could be c. takesimana, another one that i have and have brought to the swaps. I also have what i believe is a cross of the 2. It flowers pink, but has foliage a bit more like takesimana (shiny) than punctata (slightly hairy). It could be straight punctata, though. You only see the hairiness when it's dry. I think i have more of the cross than anything anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here