Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Bought anything new and interesting this year?

I do buy a lot of plants each year but as the yard fills up I find I need/want/have room for less and less.

Of the more interesting plants so far: a crimson and gold quince. This was really lovely at the nursery and I only have one other quince, a nivalis, which I enjoy so much each winter. I really excited about the crimson and gold.

A Santa Claus fuchsia - a shrub fuchsia that has to win the prize for going downhill faster than any other plant I've had. I put it on the screened in porch and within a week it had lost all it's flowers and buds. I did not transplant it and it was being kept outside at the nursery.

Of the ordinary things I have bought this year are just more of what I already have:

Mystic spires salvia and Blue Hill

lots of annuals-petunias, million bells, geraniums, bacopa, verbena, angelonia, lantana, plumbago,lavender

more knockouts to extend the hedge

Another jane magnolia

Setsugekka camellia

More dianthus g.-I like to try new varieties I don't have

Another nelly stevens

A gorgeous streptocarpella hanging basket

Hinoki I can't recall the name. Looks like Crispi but much smaller.

Maidenhair fern-doing great and is beautiful! I've never had one before.

I have spent a lot of time this year moving things around and digging up rooted pieces of perennials.

Comments (15)

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I'm in my second year here in NC and finally figuring some things out (many more things I don't know, though!). I've planted this year already:
    Magnolia stellata
    Halesia carolina
    2 vitex (1 pink, 1 purple)
    Yoshino cherry
    Acer freemani 'Autumn Blaze'
    Redbud 'Forest Pansy'
    "Nearly Black" Rose (hybrid tea, I think?)
    Lots of lily bulbs of various types
    Acer palmatum 'Glowing Embers'
    "Black Magic" Hollyhock
    Calycanthus 'Athens'
    Abelia 'Kaleidoscope'
    And plenty of regular stuff like agastache, columbine, coleus, pieris, weigela, syringa 'Miss Kim', and veggies galore. Way too much, in fact! =)

• catc
    15 years ago

It's my second year also.
    So far, I've planted Calycanthus 'Venus' (I had been lusting after this and finally gave in and it's already blooming),
    two kinds of Osmanthus Fragrans,
    Salvia Leucantha,
    Bletilla Striata,
    Camellia 'Scented Snow',
    Camellia 'October Affair',
    Rose Crepuscule,
    some asiatic and oriental lilies,
    lots of new daylilies.
    After last year, it's nice to see things taking hold and thriving.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Such fun, interesting lists!
    What is Bletilla Striata? I don't have any Calycanthus although I know Athens is popular. Does the fragrance waft? That's always a big plus for me.

I'm trying to hold out until fall when I want to get a large Sugar Maple.

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Bletilla is ground orchid. It's really pretty and easy, although I killed mine.

I hadn't ordered any roses or iris for a couple of years, so I splurged and ordered some of both this spring. I got Crepuscule, Jeanne d'Arc, Reine des Violettes, Felicia, Marie Pavie, Climbing Devoniensis, Balitmore Belle, and Hippolyte.

• iechris
    15 years ago

Hydrangea 'Together' (Forever and Ever)- I'll believe the reblooming when I see it though...
    Hydrangea 'Peppermint' (Forever and Ever)- again, I'll believe the reblooming when I see it and some of the flowers have been solid, not striped, but still interesting IMO
    Hosta 'June'
    Hosta 'Blue Mouse Ears'
    Hosta 'Orange Marmalade'
    Japanse Maple 'Orange Dream'
    Japanese Maple 'Butterfly'- a tiny baby

I've gotten annuals for the porch planters, veggies, herbs, etc, but these are the most interesting things I think.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

The calycanthus 'Athens' I have is amazing...easily my favorite shrub blooming right now. The fragrance is somewhere between cantaloupe and Juicy Fruit gum. Very sweet and it does waft within a few yards. However, I've read that the fragrance can vary from one calycanthus to the next, so I bought this one in bloom already to make sure the fragrance was good. Catc, how does the 'Venus' smell?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also bought a rose canyon abelia that I hope is wonderful. I have a bridal bouquet that smells amazing so hopefully this will too. I went looking for an abelia grandiflora and all it's cultivars and found zippo. I guess it's not fashionable anymore, But I love it...near Statesville NC (or maybe Charlotte) they have some grand daddies along the highway that I crave.
    I 'll start looking at Calycanthus. I don't really like the brown flowers though.
    I interested in the Glowing Embers also. If it's as wonderful as Dirr thinks.

Eventually I 'll order more roses- I assume you don't spray Alicia?

• alicia7b
    15 years ago

Nope.

• catc
    15 years ago

So far the fragrance from Calycanthus Venus is not that strong, but I'm hoping maybe it will increase. That happened with the gardenia I planted last year - first blooms had hardly any fragrance, then later blooms smelled wonderful. Even if it doesn't have a lot of fragrance I really love the plant - the blooms look like little magnolia blossoms.

iechris - you're going to love Blue Mouse Ears. I got it last year and it's such a cool little hosta. It's really beautiful when it blooms, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calycanthus Venus

• DYH
    15 years ago

Nothing exotic. Just BOLD ORANGE blooms!

Cameron

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Woodies:

Lonicera 'Lemon Beauty' bought several to group and front a purple smoke bush in a deer-prone area.

Aesculus parviflora, hopefully to sucker out in a low moist area.

Physocarpus 'Mindia' (Coppertina), as an accent shrub in an orange-themed area.

Perennials:

Coreopsis 'Tequila Sunrise'
    Agapanthus 'Elaine'
    Iris sibirica 'Butter and Sugar'
    Persicaria 'Silver Dragon'
    Salvia chamaedryoides
    Gaura 'Bijou Butterflies'
    Chrysanthemum pacificum
    Aruncus 'Misty Lace'
    Croscosmia 'Warlhead'
    Hippeastrum (forgot cultivar name, but it's supposed to be hardy through zone 7)
    Lysimachia congestiflora 'Persian Chocolate'
    Abuliton (variegated) (for a container)
    Iris pallida 'Variegata'

• plantsonthepoint
    15 years ago

I have been really good this season. I just moved from NC this past winter and I'm still trying to adjust. I have only bought things which had been on my 'must have' list, no annuals... yet.
    I was at Keller's Flea Market in Savannah and found a Brugmansia, my first, and a variagated abutilon pictum 'Thomsonii'. The abutilon was never on my list, since I had never seen it, but I was struck by the variagation. It looks like the digital camoflage the military is using!
    I was given an agapanthus... I've been after one forever. I bought a euonymus fortunei 'Wolong Ghost' because I'd wanted it forever too. I found it half off at Lowes along with a pink clematis, which I can't remember the name of right now.
    ---Keith

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I've picked up a few, still buying and looking. So far, some of the more interesting I've picked up....

Dwarf Tangerine
    Dwarf Cavendish Banana
    Dwarf Pineapple (on the way)
    Nearly Black Rose
    Blue Girl Rose
    And my favorite so far this year, Regal Calla

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Nannerbelle (or anyone else), do you have any experience with the Nearly Black rose? I'd heard some good things about it, but the one I bought and planted in March is now blooming...and it is not "nearly black". In fact, it's pretty much "just red". Maybe it takes a while to develop the darker color?...so far, I'm a little disappointed. At least it is a healthy, pretty rose!...but not what I expected, that's all.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

No experience yet, I was late getting mine in, sometime in April. It is a beautiful healthy plant, no blooms yet. It has nice healthy foliage. I was looking for a really really dark deep burgandy red, which is what I understood this one to be. I'll keep you posted on what mine turns out like. I'm a particular fan of the odd color roses, some of my favorites are lavenders, red/white stripes and the brilliant salmon colors. I also had a bridal bouquet at my last house that was outstanding. Beautiful tight blooms. I'm just now getting my roses started here, so far, so good! :-)