Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

What Can I Start Now in Containers?

drippy
14 years ago

Hello, folks - I have finally just completed the move from southeastern MA to Upstate SC. DH and I are living in a rented trailer, and may be for a few months while we house-hunt for more permanent quarters. I do a lot of growing from seed, and would love to know what you think I might be successful with in that area in terms of container gardening. Although this would be a typical time that I could start quite a bit in MA in containers, I wonder about the heat - but I also wonder about plants (annuals in particular) that have a longer seed-to-bloom time, that might be more successful here than if I tried them now in MA.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Kim

Comments (4)

• claudia_sandgrower
    14 years ago

I do a lot of container gardening also, Kim. (And there's a container gardening forum on GW that you might want to check out... lots of smart folks over there.) Sadly, I'm not much of a seed-grower, too little time, not enough patience! But as far as the growing season, SC has a loooong one. I'm in the Midlands (Columbia) and grow both annuals and perennials from April - November, or even December in protected areas. We don't get much seriously cold weather, with some exceptions, until Jan - March... you'll have more problems with heat than cold here. If you want to go and buy yourself a flat or two of annuals to make your temporary home homier, you're definitely not too late, but some of the more seasoned gardeners here will have to answer your question about growing from seed.

Best of luck, and welcome to SC!

• zigzag
    14 years ago

Hi Drippy/Kim and welcome! I'm from southeastern MA too, have been here for 16 years now and have never looked back.

Afraid I can't be of much help in the growing from seed realm (I am waaaaay too impatient and lazy!) My yards are mostly shrubs & perennials with but a few annuals here and there (annuals are thirsty and we deal w/heat & drought here a lot - just an fyi).

I do a few containers every year, but wimp out and get the started plants (preferably blooming!). Since you've just arrived and are in temporary quarters, go wild w/a few containers of started plants and spend this summer getting a handle on Southern gardening - it is very different and very wonderful! :o)

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Hi Kim!

Glad you made it! you picked a good year, lots of rain so far. I am still planting annuals, cosmos, cleome, amarathe, nigella, marigolds. I would say most annuals can still be planted from seed. (the season is so long here that even the slowpokes will have plenty of time, at least until November) Most annuals sprout and run pretty fast here!

Oh and some of your annuals may even be perennial here!

Have a great day and welcome to the Carolinas
    Frances

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I bought a few pots yesterday, and started white agastache, lanceleaf coreopsis, francoa, Clemson Spineless okra, Peach Melba nasturtium, Scarlet O'Hara morning glory, Hibiscus sabdariffa Jamaican Cocktail, Cut & Come Again zinnia, Passiflora edulis, Blue Ribbon salvia, and Sunset Giant marigolds from seed.

I also potted up dahlia tubers and calla bulbs I brought with me, in the hopes they'll grow and survive until I move to where I can plant them in the ground.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz