Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
17 year Secadas

Posted by msjay2u 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 21:50

Has anyone seen evidence of the billions of 17 year secadas that are supposed to be coming out this year? Or was this all hype??
Also I know they were deafeningly loud 3 years ago... so I am not understanding how they are saying they only come out every 17 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 secadas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 17 year Secadas

Well, I have been looking (since I now know what they look like) and haven't seen any. I believe the ones that showed up a couple years ago were actually named 'brood II'. I gather that means that there are different varieties of secadas. I have also heard that the brood II group was not as prevalent in the New York, Washington DC areas and so the dramatic effect didn't hit them last time and it is new news up there in News Central.

o

Lol . I thought this year was brood ii? But yes there are different ones ...they say this brood is supposed to be darker. I thought they already hit jersey pretty bad but now that I think about it I might have been looking at old news reports....maybe it's not warm enough for them to come out of the ground...

o

If you observed an emergence a few years ago then the cicadas in your area most likely don't belong to this year's brood (Brood II). In NC, there was an emergence of the 13-year Brood XIX ("Great Southern Brood") in 2011 and of the 17-year Brood XIV in 2008. They are scheduled to emerge again in 2024 and 2025, respectively, although sometimes premature emergences may occur. While a number of broods may be present across a state, one brood often dominates a particular area.
We remember seeing many dead cicadas in 2011, so we think the Triangle area may be a Brood XIX territory.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicada broods

o

ah haaaaaa...That makes sense now...thanks!

o

I recall that here in Charlotte the XIX brood sounded entirely different than normal summer cicadas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here