Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doxiedr

Lantana 'Chapel Hill'

mbuckmaster
14 years ago

Alright, North Carolinians, do you have this delightful perennial lantana in your garden? I just planted the 'Chapel Hill Yellow' variety, which is supposed to be a cross between 'New Gold' and 'Miss Huff,' combining the color of the former with the cold hardiness of the latter. Any experiences to share?...are my hopes too high with this gorgeous plant?

By the way, a touching tidbit about the plant patent associated with 'Chapel Hill': "This plant appeared as a chance seedling in the garden of Susy Dirr, Mike Dirr's beloved daughter who died earlier this year from cystic fibrosis. Perennial to Zone 7. Patent Pending, a portion of the royalties from "Chapel Hill Yellow" will go to the Sweet Melissa Fund for lung transplant patients and families at the University of North Carolina (from Wilson Bros. website)."

Comments (7)

• dellare
    14 years ago

We carried Chapel Hill Yellow last year and I planted about six or seven that I used to border and spill out of the front of one of my beds. I really liked the look with purple muhly grass planted in back. Half of them are leafing out. I am hoping all the others return as well. Adele

• spazzycat_1
    14 years ago

Wonbyherwits (Cameron) had a post late last summer about this plant (with pictures of the blooms). If you do a search, you'll probably be able to find it.

I put this plant in this Spring in front of a large Miscanthus and next to Salvia 'Mystic Spires'. I'm looking forward to it starting to bloom in a couple more weeks. There have been some reports of it getting larger than the 2' advertised.

• carolinagardendawg
    14 years ago

I bought/won a small Chapel Hill Lantana in a silent auction at a fundraiser hosted in part by Dr. Dirr back in January. He'd just taken it out of the greenhouse so it was in full foliage with some blooms. I did what I could to keep it out of the cold, but a few nights outside proved too much...it quickly turned to twigs. I was nervous I'd lose it since it was still containerized and the roots weren't really protected well (other than the plastic container). It has leafed out nicely though and I popped it into its new home at the end of my perennial bed last weekend...so far so good. And I hope it does get a little larger than the listed 2', but not quite as large as Ms. Huff.

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments! I'm looking forward to it filing out nicely, and blooming all summer as advertised. My daughter loves butterflies also, so I hope they like this half as much as 'New Gold.'

• lfrbb1956_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I know this is a zone 7 to 11 plant. Living in Indiana, I would like to keep this as a perennial plant. If anyone knows the best way to store this inside during the winter please let me know.

• tamelask
    12 years ago

I successfully overwintered 2 non hardy lantanas for z 7/8 this year in my cool greenhouse- so called b/c i keep it a just a bit above freezing (aiming for no lower than 40 or so). Just give it a little water- these were kept on the dry side, and some sun, and they should be ok. In a house, you'd have to water a good deal more and i don't know if they'd make it or get buggy. Good luck!

• Ralph Whisnant
    12 years ago

In the past I have put non-hardy lantanas in the crawl space once they began to die back in the fall. Once the danger of frost was over I brought them out and achieved almost 100% regrowth. This past year I left them outside in pots in an unheated area between 3-foot walls of composting leaves and completely covered with plastic. All, including Samantha, survived even though we had a few days in the low teens.